Some questions about viewing Star Choice from USA

gravityZ

Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and satellite tv in general. My wife and I are expat canucks living in the Seattle metro area and looking to get started with Star Choice. As we're heading home for the holidays, I was considering purchasing the DSR505 receiver kit from a store such as Future Shop. This kit doesn't appear to include the dish, which is provided upon installation. Does anyone know if there's a way to purchase an all-in-one kit containing dish, receiver, etc? Or would we be better to buy a Ku-band dish from an online retailer? (On that note, does anyone have experience with kusat.com?)

Thanks!
gravityZ

Future Shop should have the dishes (get a 75-E elliptical) but you would probably need to ship to Seattle yourself. I've ordered from kusat a couple of times without problems but their shipping charges are high. You can also occasionally find the dishes on eBay or get a 2 dish setup (probably overkill for Seattle) from STAR CHOICE* Reception Information

I bought my dish from Kusat. I was very happy with their service.

The shipping charges seemed a little high, but they handle the customs hassle, so I didn't have to.

I found the dish easy to install myself.

I live in both BC and WA, so I shuttle my DSR530 back and forth during CFL and curling seasons.

I did the same with Kusat with no problems. I split time between Bama and Ontario.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that yes, you do have to activate from a Canada phone number. You have to have a Canada address, so I can't imagine that they'll take a US phone number. You'll probably also have to be billed from a Canada credit card or checking account.

As I recall, you need to have the control center "hit" your receiver box after it's plugged in and aimed. So, you can't activate in Canada hours/days before you install in the US.

I think that "brokers" can fix all the billing, but I don't know anything about brokers, since I didn't need one, since I actually live up there.

phone number...

Actually, if things have not changed, you do not have to be calling from a cdn. number, just provide one along with an address. A few years ago I sold a 505 to someone in Guatemala (sp?) from these forums and he just used a Vonage number to activate. He picked the address out of a phone directory. It seems that a lot of people are timid in trying to go without a broker, but it is not that hard. As far as a dish goes, if you go to an actual installer showroom (not a big box store) they can probably sell you a dish separately. I bought one locally for $65.

Take Care.

u can call from a usa number, use a usa credit card, u do need a canadian address, u need a canadian tel no, u can use a usa tel no as a secondary tel no, u can make up a canadian tel no, but use a real canadian address. u should have the receiver and dish connected ,ready to receive the hit when u call,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)