Some real basic questions before I buy...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
For a motor, I have used the Moteck SG-2100, the DigiPower SG-2100, the PowerTech DG-280, DG-280B and the DG-380.

Out of these five motors, I prefer the DG-280B (42mm motor tube). The DG-280 and the DG-380 have a 55mm motor tube. I think you can still order different tubes and swap them if needed.

The major difference I have found between the DG-280/DG-280B and the DG-380 is that the DG-380 has an automatic backlash adjustment and the DG-280 requires manual adjustment, the DG-280/B are rated to maximum of 100cm dish and the DG-380 to 120cm and, of course, the price.

Some obvious differences between the SG-2100 motors and the PowerTech DG series motors are the mounting bracket (much heavier gauge on the PowerTech DG series), the maximum travel (+/-80 degrees) for the DG series and the DG series have all metal gears.

Radar

Fake Moteck SG2100

Fakes seem to be a big problem. So, many SG 2100 are fake. How do you know a real one? I noticed one vendor on eBay bemoaning this. He said "Make sure to look for MOTECK logo on the package; and "MADE IN TAIWAN" script"

Is it that easy? Or, is there more to it than that?

To avoid the confusion, just get a Sadoun PowerTech DG-280, DG-280B, or DG-380 instead. Much better motors.

I must agree with Sadoun, with great conviction. Not intending to be an advertising agent for Sadoun and the PowerTech motors, I have to admit that I am extremely pleased with the PowerTech series!

If I am not mistaken, there was a DG-240 model as well.

Anyway, between the 280 and the 380, I do prefer the 280(B) as it matches my Winegard DS-2076 dish very well.

The PowerTech motors are very quiet and they slew (pan) very fast! 1.3 degrees per second to pan to a vertical TP and 1.93 degrees per second to pan to a horizontal TP. This includes the time for the signal to lock.

The mounting bracket for the PowerTech motors is almost twice the gauge (0.070" for the SG-2100 vs 0.120" for the PowerTech series).

I cannot attest to the maximum (extreme) dish weight that these motors will handle, but they will definitely handle the maximum that is specified without a problem. I assume they have allowed some fudge (or budget) factor in this rating, so if it is stated that a 1.0 M dish is max, it probably will handle a 1.2 M dish just as well.

In my opinion, you can push this motor far beyond the rated limits without any problems. I wouldn't guarantee this, but judging from the quality and the results I have witnessed over the past few years that I have been using the DG-280/DG-380 motors, I am confident that they will meet AND exceed all the mfg's limits.

If I were to construct anything to sell to the public consumer, I would build the "device" to exceed what I guaranteed to them on paper and I think that is what they have done here and much more.

I wish I had the finances to try a newer model STAB motor to compare here, but we all know that this is not a good time to be spending too much money just for hobbies. I try to experiment when I can, so that I can provide answers to other hobbyists, but I also have to pay my bills same as everyone else here and this is not a great time.

I had to cut out subscription TV and watch FTA only. No problem for me, I don't watch TV that much, to be honest. But, there are a LOT of great things on FTA that I can watch, if I use my makeshift PVR/DVR system to record them in advance. That requires more work and planning on my behalf, but it it is also still FREE. Sometimes I just turn my recorder on before I go to work and let it record all the shows and throughout the day. Then I watch them when I get home and edit them on my days off.

Radar

Radar, thanks for your feedback. I am really glad you like your motor.

We have sold several kind of HH motors since we 1st introduced the STAB back in 2002. I have found that both the STAB and the Sadoun Powertech motors have proven to be the best as far as performance, long term reliability and quality. Some of the long term members here or at Satforms may agree with me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts