Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Welcome to November!

October was another great month for SatelliteGuys, thank you for all your support of SatelliteGuys in October!

We begin November with a few changes and introduce another SatelliteGuys feature!

First a change in staff, I am proud to announce that Professor Mike (or as you know him Rockymtnhigh) has been promoted to a full site administrator. Since coming on staff Mike's white glove care for SatelliteGuys has been showing. His dedication and devotion to help make SatelliteGuys a better place for all have been impressive. Please help me welcome him to the admin staff!

Second I screwed up. Last month I made a new rule here of NO LINKS in your signature. After putting this rule into place I had regrets about making it as some folks who had valid non commercial links were affected. To me this violated the spirit of SatelliteGuys, a place where people can be a lot more "free" then other sites.

Because of this the rule about not having links in your signature is now no longer in effect. You can have ONE link in your signature, but it can't be to a site in commercial nature. The reason for no commercial links is because we have sponsors here, and its not fair to them if Joe from Joe Satellite starts putting links to his specials on his site for free while they are paying to help keep SatelliteGuys Online.

So if you had a link and it was to a non commercial site, feel free to add it again. My apologies for breaking the spirit of SatelliteGuys.

I am excited to announce that once again this year we will be holding a SatelliteGuys Holiday Party for our members and our staff.

In the past few years my wife Eva and I have literally spent thousands buying prizes to give away to our members. In the past years we have given away some of the most sought after holiday gifts and this year we will do the same. We have already started buying this years prizes!

This year however we are going to change the way we do things, as in the past few years a number of folks who won joined SatelliteGuys just for the chance of winning a prize and some of them won and were never seen here again. Because we want our true members to win we will be putting in a rule that you must have been a member of SatelliteGuys since a certain date (this date has not been established yet, but it may be November 15th) in addition the winner must have more then 5 posts to SatelliteGuys to qualify.

These prizes are to say THANK YOU to our active members for helping us remain the internet's largest and most popular satellite information site!

In addition we are buying extra prizes this year, and these extras will be given to our staff in a random drawing. All of these staff members here volunteer their time and besides the thank you gift card I send them all every year they get nothing for their hard work they don't get paid. I will be honored to be able to give them a chance to win some goodies as well.

Plus in addition we will be doing some exclusive giveaways for our pub members and supporting founders. As without our supporting pub members we would not be here today.

So stay tuned for more information about our Holiday Party!

Finally I would like to announce an exciting new feature to SatelliteGuys, its the radio and television feature, which allows you to watch and listen to LIVE Television and Radio Stations from around the world!

To access this new feature click on the new Radio & TV Tab. (You must be using the New SatelliteGuys Look style to see it)

Supporting Founders & Pub Members can even add new stations to others to enjoy!

We hope you enjoy you enjoy this new feature and the changes we have made! We continue to work hard to make SatelliteGuys better for YOU!

Thanks for being a member!

Congrats Rocky!! I'm very proud to call you a fellow administrator. :) Your help and leadership have made Satelliteguys a better place for everyone.

In the past few years my wife Eva and I have litterally spent thousands buying prizes to give away to our members. In the past years we have given away some of the most sought after holiday gifts and this year we will do the same. We have already started buying this years prizes!

This year however we are going to change the way we do things, as in the past few years a number of folks who won joined SatelliteGuys just for the chance of winning a prize and some of them won and were never seen here again. Because we want our true members to win we will be putting in a rule that you must have been a member of SatelliteGuys since a certain date (this date has not been established yet, but it may be November 15th) in addition the winner must have more then 5 posts to SatelliteGuys to qualify.
Thanks for being a member!
I agree 100%, It wouldn't be fair for all the pub members who pay membership dues every year for someone who posted once to win.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but does this mean we can now have PS3 tags, etc. in our signatures? Or are you just talking about straight links? Because I've tried the HTML code, the alternate HTML code and the BB code and none of them seem to work... Hardly seems fair that the XBox guys can have theirs... :)

Congratulations Rocky!

As for the link in the sig- somehow I missed the new rule and you guys gave me a pass. Now having said that I really must take offense that my sig wasn't commercial enough to qualify for a scolding or censorship. I thought the sig I have been using was pretty hard sell. :D

Congratulations Rocky!

As for the link in the sig- somehow I missed the new rule and you guys gave me a pass. Now having said that I really must take offense that my sig wasn't commercial enough to qualify for a scolding or censorship. I thought the sig I have been using was pretty hard sell. :D

Thank you Don. Indeed, thanks everybody. I am honored.

Your sig was internal to SatGuys, so it was fine. It was just external sigs. But its all good now. :)

Congratulations Rocky. Well deserved, and good luck with all those extra monkeys that just jumped on your back :D

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but does this mean we can now have PS3 tags, etc. in our signatures? Or are you just talking about straight links? Because I've tried the HTML code, the alternate HTML code and the BB code and none of them seem to work... Hardly seems fair that the XBox guys can have theirs... :)
No sorry no HTML in the signatures.

HTML is a security hazard, as we have seen in the past some folks put signatures that have a payload in them, payloads include tracking cookies all the way to putting popup ads to folks that visit the site. (In fact they could also even install spyware on your PC without you knowing it) all with HTML in the signatures turned on.

Thats why we don't allow it. We are just trying to keep you, your computer and your privacy safe.

If you know of any good PS3 tags, which are like the Xbox360 gamer tags let me know and I will investigate adding it to the software. :)

Last edited:
Perhaps an idea for the drawings could be this - give supporting founders 3 entries into the drawings, pub members 2 entries into the drawings, and all other members with a minimum of an x number of posts that has been a member since x 1 entry into the drawing (or perhaps make this applicable to only certain prizes while other prizes could be exclusively for staff members and other prizes for pub members / supporting founders as mentioned earlier).

No sorry no HTML in the signatures.

HTML is a security hazard, as we have seen in the past some folks put signatures that have a payload in them, payloads include tracking cookies all the way to putting popup ads to folks that visit the site. (In fact they could also even install spyware on your PC without you knowing it) all with HTML in the signatures turned on.

Thats why we don't allow it. We are just trying to keep you, your computer and your privacy safe.

If you know of any good PS3 tags, which are like the Xbox360 gamer tags let me know and I will investigate adding it to the software. :)

Totally understand the security thing, and I figured that was probably what it was...

I get mine from ps3tag.com, not sure if there is a way to add those in or not...

Congratulations, Mike! You've made quite an impression in the two years you've been here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)