Somebody convince me

cal87

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Cutting Edge
Aug 3, 2005
Tracy, CA
I am very happy with my Oppo. I was ready to wait until the second or third generation of new players - better features, maybe some bugs worked out, more software available, maybe the format war decided.

Now with the release date moving closer, I'm getting the feeling that I've got to have one. I guess HD-DVD because it's coming out first.

Cost doesn't bother me that much. I just don't want another piece of unused equipment sitting in my garage. I've got a laserdisc player, 2 DVD players, 3 DirecTV receivers, 2 AV receivers, an old front projector, multiple speakers gathering dust right now.

Should I go for it?
I need a good backup excuse for the wife if I get a Blu-Ray player later this year. :D

Just enjoy that Oppo until the PS3 comes out later this summer/fall and you can compare the real features vs street price; your wife (and you) will be happier.

charper1 said:
Just enjoy that Oppo until the PS3 comes out later this summer/fall and you can compare the real features vs street price; your wife (and you) will be happier.

I would never use a gaming machine as my primary DVD player

Last edited:
Nor would I, but I mentioned that because the OP made it sound like the wife wasn't too happy with all the $$ spent. However, that being said, considering no one knows how well, or badly the PS3 opperates as a Blu-Ray player, this hold zero truth at the moment.

Actually, $$$ is not the major issue. Wife get's more upset about the aesthetics - too many components and wiring, boxes stacked in the garage, discs all over the place. As Ilya said, its about the movies. I want movies from both camps. What seems to make the most sense is to wait for a dual format player.

But I want a new toy to play with now, and I need a good excuse. :D

Yep, and although it may not be an "end solution", once we all get to see the street prices, and what the PS3 does and how it will handle Blu-Ray playback, it should be a good entry-level BR player until the 2nd gen or combo players start to arrive. No must have reason to jump on in the 1st 3 months until some dust settles.

Time to visit the Salvation Army and collect a tax deduction- and remove sore points from sight permanently.

Paradox-SJ said:
I would never use a gaming machine as my primary DVD player
But this could be a great strategy. The picture has to be light years better from the PS3 Blu Ray vs an upconverting player. When you add in the other features of the PS3 it may be a great device to use until a Blu ray stand alone player becomes affordable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts