It is almost time for me to buy a Blu-Ray player!

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
The gauge I am using... price of discs. I noticed a display of 2-for-$20 BD movies at WalMart this weekend. Was a grocery shopping trip so I didn't have time to really evaluate the selection, but I think it's about time to seriously start looking into the idea now.

They're great. I started renting more and onyl purchase titles I will watch over and over like Terminator.

There are a lot of really good players that are fairly inexpensive now.

S~

Costco near me has some BDs below $10. I don't think any of them were over $20.

Still, I'm buying very few now. I have too many unwatched ones on the shelf. And a massive honeydew list to accomplish before 7/4 so there's no time to watch. If it rains on the fourth, and no one gets to go outside and enjoy all the work we put in out there, I guess I'll sit them all down and make 'em watch Blue-rays! ;)

Yes, it's time. With player prices and media so low, it really makes no sense to stick with DVDs.

Nah, why wait. There is always something better coming. You can get a decent player for $200 or less. Go for it. And I just got the Godfather trilogy for $31 used on Amazon. Can't wait to watch it. :)

If you've waited this long, wait for the players with managed copy abilities to show up in 6-9 months.
Unless you want a PS3 as a player, that is...

Diogen.

Diogen,

Been a while. I'm waiting for more info on these, also. Fox going to bend? How are they going to manage rentals? Hopefully some info at CEDIA or CES at the latest.

S~

Never mind. Easy enough to handle.

Not many details on this.

It looks like it is going to be very much how Amir described it before the first hidef disk was released.
Internet connected player gets permission (for a fee or free) to strip DRM off the stream and apply another DRM before it gets dumped onto some storage.
Only authorized players can play that copy, i.e. decode the new DRM that will be licensed by AACS LA.

It looks like Microsoft DRM already has this "blessing" (their audio protection is considered a success).

Diogen.

I finally convinced my Uncle to buy into the world of HD.

He started with HD Cable and a mediocre sized LCD. In the last 3 months of tasting HD Cable, he's purchased 2 new 1080p plasmas and a Blu-Ray player for each set. HD is like a drug. Once you're addicted, it's a non-stop effort to quench your thirst.

Now, if only he would take my advice and buy into the wonderful world of the DVR! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts