Somebody PLEASE start a new Satellite Company!!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
socalpanman said:
Is
Wealth HD still out there and besides Canada is anyone getting WGN HD?
Yup - it sure is (Wealth HD). It's out there on the elusive 3rd provider.... 4DTV!

4DTV isn't perfect either, but right now it's the only worthwhile satellite option in my book. I still don't have the HD decoder, but I'm planning on it.

navychop said:
I think Fios IS a cable killer. Wherever it goes, it will be a much more attractive and comprehensive service than cable. And maintenance costs will likely be less (very little "balancing the system" needed with fiber, and less degradation). No, when Fios moves in, it's likely only a matter of time before the coax company there goes away.
And by skimming the cream of the customer crop, they can hurt satellite.
But, not to worry. Expansion will be very very slow. Let's revisit this topic in ten years.

maybe. IMHO Fios will only be where DSL is at this point and that isnt much of america (area wise) charper is correct it will mainly be an urban/ high population suburban service, fiber is VERY expensive to run.

Yep, I agree.

They'll take on the high density areas where cable can turn a profit, and leave thin areas to cablecos. Only cable costs there may be so high that the satcos finish them off. My in-laws live in a rural area with analog only cable, about 40 channels. They're not sure if the service will continue after the sale of the local cableco is completed. Or if it would ever be expanded. Hilly county, possible but difficult to get sat LOS. They'll never see Fios or DSL, and may lose cable.

Anyway, it'll be many years before Fios expands enough to be notable.

Last edited:
Shawn95GT said:
Yup - it sure is (Wealth HD). It's out there on the elusive 3rd provider.... 4DTV!
4DTV isn't perfect either, but right now it's the only worthwhile satellite option in my book. I still don't have the HD decoder, but I'm planning on it.

It still amazes me that C-Band is so over looked. It's providing FULL HD resolution, but people for the most part are content to stay with the pizza dish and complain.
Sure FIOS will be great for those that are in the right area. If more people were to move to C-Band I believe there would be more programming available.

The internet will be the new future for broadcasting. There could be new startups online offering packages and so forth. Competition is good.

I have 2 relatives who gave up on C-band, with it's ever-diminishing offerings. One I got on DISH, the other is on 40 channel analog only cable, due to poor LOS to 110/119.

I'm sure my townhouse HOA would just LOVE to see a BUD in my back yard.

The numbers of BUD users seems to be tanking.

Last edited:
"The numbers of BUD users seems to be tanking."

You are correct; I still enjoy mine, most of what people think left Cband can be had on 4DTV "their digital" or Ku (just upgrades) but it does cost good money and/or or they just don't know.

BUT

1. The large cost for hardware (for most)
2. ZERO advertising of advantages and new tech
3. ZERO new R&D for HOME USERS
4. Ridiculously low cost to get into the other forms of TV (see #1)
5. Size and looks

C-band

I have to say that when it comes to subscribing to tv, c-band is the only way for me. Great picture and audio quality, HD programming is stunning, It is soooo much cheaper to subscribe than pizza dishes or cable.

C-band offers up a lot of free programming in the forms of analog, digicipher 2 (4dtv) mpeg-2 free to air on both c and ku bands.

True most neigbors don't like looking at an 8' or larger dish in your yard, most homeowner's associations don't allow them (I would never buy property somewhere that someone could tell me what and where i could put something in my yard!).

c-band systems can be installed clean and neat. They do not have to look sloppy, junky or trashy. I have a BUD and my lawn is nicely landscaped with fountains and shrubs. A lot of HOA's associate big dishes with the stereotype of shabby houses out in the rural areas of america with a big dish in the yard.

Besides, I know people who are very caring, moral, and generous who are not as fortunate as many others and live in more modest housing. I think HOA's are very judgmental, critical, and degrading to people. I would not live in an area controlled by a HOA or pay to support them.:)

I live in one of the most restictive HOAs in the USA - HOAs can't tell you you can't have a BUD at all. I would never live in an area again without an HOA, there are many more adv than neg in having one. AND regarding the latter comments, 99% are great, and as in everything else in life, even on the lower income areas of town, there are always a few bad apples and you just weed those out not toss them all.

Last edited:
Nope- HOAs CAN tell you no BUD. The max antenna size that they can't touch for the 48 states is one meter. Unlimited in Alaska. This is governed by FCC regs based on law.

You can have a DBS dish. But no 6' or larger BUD. Just up to one meter in size, just over 3' (39.37 inches). See this FCC fact sheet.

Last edited:
This has been debated about a million times and even continues in the FCC and probably doesn't need to go around again here. But numerous people have challanged bad HOA's on this and won.

Q: What types of antennas are covered by the rule?

A: The rule applies to the following types of antennas:

(1) A "dish" antenna that is one meter (39.37") or less in diameter (or any size dish if located in Alaska) and is designed to receive direct broadcast satellite service, including direct-to-home satellite service, or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals via satellite.

(2) An antenna that is one meter or less in diameter or diagonal measurement and is designed to receive video programming services via broadband radio service (wireless cable) or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals other than via satellite.

(3) An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast signals. Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)