someone help me!

tburr

Original poster
Oct 16, 2004
ok where to start...

first i live in a loft complex in downtown houston who has SBC home entertainment as the direct tv provider.i picked up a new hd ready big screen and was all pumped about getting HD boadcast. well come to find out good ol SBC doesnt offer HD ?what the hell hey use direct tv's services who offer HD yet they dont so i was pretty mad about that and im still trying to see if i can just switch to direct tv somehow. anyway so i decide to give OTA a try . i buy the samsung 360 model. couldnt get it to work no support from samsung everyone i talked to were complete morons. brougt it back got the hughes. couldnt get it to work so i decided to call direct tv and see if they had any answers. they said that the direct tv/OTA combo boxes wont allow OTA without paying for HD broadcast through direct TV. wtf you have to pay for free HD ? this totally got my blood boiling but no worries i thought i would just bring it back get a regular OTA box and be good to go. well i picked up the sirt351 and of course i cant get it to work.

so heres the deal ive got my component cables hooked up right
got the antenna feed coming in to the correct place.(there is a rooftop antenna at our lofts that is fed to every cable outlet)
i can pick up all local channels perfectly with clear picture.

what am i doing wrong why cant i pick up any OTA signals????

do you have to set the boxes up some special way. im getting so frustrated any help greatly appreciated . sorry about the long write up just figured id give the whole situation.

You said you can pick up all local channels with a clear picture and then say you can't pick up any OTA channels. Would it be correct to assume the first group are your local OTA analog channels and the second are your local OTA digital channels?

If that is the case the only thing I'm coming up with is that most DTV boxes require you to "scan" for digital stations before you can see them. Have you done so?

K R Kimmel said:
You said you can pick up all local channels with a clear picture and then say you can't pick up any OTA channels. Would it be correct to assume the first group are your local OTA analog channels and the second are your local OTA digital channels?

If that is the case the only thing I'm coming up with is that most DTV boxes require you to "scan" for digital stations before you can see them. Have you done so?

yea when i say OTA i mean digial or HD broadcast not analog . i can get analog fine just no digital. i did the channel scan thing in the menu it doesnt seem to find anything.

Claude Greiner said:
First mistake was getting SBC!

thanks captain obvious but when they own all the lines in the complex its kinda hard to get anything else

ok after playing with my indoor antenna im finally getting the game in HD signal is dropping in and out though so maybe i need a better indoor antenna . can anyone figure out why the antenna coming through the wall wouldnt work ? could it be because the local channels are just coming in through the satellite and not an actuall antenna?

Welcome to Satelliteguys!!

Nothing says you can't get Directv on your own. Have you looked into that? As far as OTA HD goes go to antennaweb.org and see what type of antenna and what direction your OTA towers are. I have the same problem you are having. In our townhouse my antenna can't get the HD OTA because the building is in the way of the towers. I can get analog just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)