Someone please help me understand SD up conversions

HDTV Rookie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 1, 2003
Texas
Ok, need some clarity. I have a mitsubishi WS-55613. This TV can only accept 480I, 480P or 1080I. It appears that all of the component video feeds accept all 3 resolutions. Not sure if the DVI does as well. I have an 811 hooked up both through DVI and component video. I have the 811 set to 16x9 with 1080i for the resolution.

Some folks have stated that the SD looks best when viewing it in 480, so here are the questions I need clarity on.

Normally a SD picture is 480i, when plugged into my inputs, would my SD be upconverted to 480p or 1080i?

Would the up convert depend on what I have the 811 set to or will the TV dictate which one it will upconvert to?

Some have said that the SD picture would look best through a S-video, but how can that be, if Component video or DVI are suppose to be superior to S-Video

If I change my settings on the 811 to 480p, will it let me keep the 16x9 setting and not distort the PQ beyond the normal stretch aspect ratio?

I also think I would lose the picture on my Mitsu, as when I first tried to hook it up, I had to use the s-video cable b/c the component cables plugged into my input DTV or DVI could not receive the signal.

I have not tested it through the regular component video inputs

Thx for the help and sorry for the long post

I don't know where to begin other than this.

I have a widescreen TV, Dish 811 hooked up to the TV with Component, Dish 811 set at 16:9 and 1080i.

ALL my stations look good including the locals, OTA, SD and HDTV.

I am perfectly happy with this setup however I want to watch this thread and see what other people advise.

I am always open to options to improved PQ!

I would suggest feeding the TV with the displays native resolution via component and DVI. Take your pick which gives a better picture.

Then I would compare that with feeding the TV the programming's resolution, being 480p if it is standard 480i. Compare this with the above findings.

I would only use the S-Video for feeding a VCR.

peid said:
I don't know where to begin other than this.

I have a widescreen TV, Dish 811 hooked up to the TV with Component, Dish 811 set at 16:9 and 1080i.

ALL my stations look good including the locals, OTA, SD and HDTV.

I am perfectly happy with this setup however I want to watch this thread and see what other people advise.

I am always open to options to improved PQ!

What kind of tv do you have if you can get both a good hd picture and sd picture? I think the Philips tv is the only one I have heard of that can actually do both good hd and sd picture.

MikeD-C05 said:
What kind of tv do you have if you can get both a good hd picture and sd picture? I think the Philips tv is the only one I have heard of that can actually do both good hd and sd picture.

I have a Toshiba Cinema Series, 57HDX82.

Don't get me wrong, the SD PQ looks terribly blurry after watching HD, but before you have something to compare it to, the SD channels look great. Way better than the cable I had before.

I am still open to ideas how to get the best picture!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)