Something Dish, Direct, etc don't want you to know...

brad1138

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2006
Red Dwarf
Ever curious about how much each individual channel cost you out of your package? I am not going to list them all, but did you know that the ESPN channels cost you nearly $20/month. If you have an entry level package, nearly half of your bill is for the ESPN chans. Fine if you are a sports fan, but what if you aren't? This is the same for DirecTv.

Since I found that out, it has bothered me that no one offers a package w/o ESPN. They must have some serious clout to force all the providers to include them in all their packages.

How many people would choose to save ~$20 month and drop ESPN?

I am not picking on Dish, I am going to post this in the DTV forum also.

Curios what you think about it.

Brad

I thought I read one time that ESPN charges $4 per sub per month. And I don't think that's just for the main channel, but for all ESPN channels.

That is incorrect. In a commercial MDU (Multiple Dwelling Unit) system it is about $4 per drop (yes it is all ESPN chans), that is different than a residential system. A MDU pays per drop (per room in most cases) Average total cost in a MDU is $5-$10 per drop, with ESPN being $4 of that.

I will point out if you add every channel on the list (~170) it totals ~$34. That is about half of the top package price (which still doesn't have all those channels). So they mark them up at least double. Which puts the ESPN's to over $10/month. I will check with my source and see where the discrepancy comes from.

I will point out if you add every channel on the list (~170) it totals ~$34. That is about half of the top package price (which still doesn't have all those channels). So they mark them up at least double. Which puts the ESPN's to over $10/month. I will check with my source and see where the discrepancy comes from.

Just like any retailer in order for them to make a profit they most all double the price on what they buy for.

I stopped watching pro sports long ago. It's about the money and nothing else anymore.

Will there even be a NFL season next year? I will not miss any sleep if there isn't.

Yeah.. I'm on that bandwagon too .. I'd rather drop ESPN and give that money to the HD Platinum pack ... a few extra movies, but mostly because I found tolerance for Palladia ... an MTV networks "thing" ... which can be said was the only MTv that actually played Music Tv 24/7 ... some concerts (which was nice too) Even HDNet's music station seems to have too much crap on it.. ie. HDNet on 362 right now, Naughty But Nice ... later Drinking Made Easy ... oh and then finally they get to HDNet Music Discovery, then Rolling Stones later..

Just like I'd love to drop most of MTV's stuff off the end of a tall cliff... Get rid of the non Music MTV stuff, get rid of ESPN and give us packages that we can tailor. Nothing wrong for those who love their MTV teen pregnancy shows, and ESPN, you get to have them in *your* package ... just give me the choice of droping them from mine..

hell call it a wash... you guys keep the same money or split the difference with me.. just get rid of that crap from my packages.. :)

ESPN gets around $4.00 a month per subscriber for its package of channels. Given that ESPN can get this much Fox, Comcast, MSG, Big Ten and other sports channels would like to get close to the same money for their sports packages. There is no doubt the the cost of sports packages make up a big part of the cost of programming (50%). Dish like every business has to sell its product for more than it pays. If it didn't they couldn't pay for the satellites, marketing equipment subsidies etc. much less make a profit.

ESPN will never voluntarily agree to being offered ala carte. The like being able to tell advertisers that the channel is available in 100 million homes. With the fees collected from 100 million sub subscribers worldwide ESPN can afford to bid billions of dollars for the right fees for football, basketball, baseball, etc.

Jim

You do understand that Dish also has other things to pay for besides programming. There are employees salaries, health insurance, buildings, new satellites, rent, insurance on those buildings and satellites, etc, etc, etc...

You do understand that Dish also has other things to pay for besides programming. There are employees salaries, health insurance, buildings, new satellites, rent, insurance on those buildings and satellites, etc, etc, etc...
:eureka

lets not forget LAWYERS FEEs for all of charlies lawsuits!!!

What's your source? So far it looks incorrect compared to what we've been seeing for years. If they mark everything up 4x like it would have to be with your original post here, we'd be paying a lot more than we do for our programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts