DVR VIP 722 Question (Do I Have a Problem)???

Pete Ratowski

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 15, 2007
Tallahassee
One of my DVR's, a (VIP 722), which was installed in 2007 suddenly will not come on when we turn it on in the morning at 5am. It is very hot (unit sits on top of a cabinet with plenty of air) and is humming. The external hard drive for this unit is blinking like something is being moved from this DVR to this external harddrive. No TV hooked to this DVR will work for Dish. My other DVR and its external hard drive are functioning properly. I just unplug this unit that will not work and after I plug it back into the surge suppressor it will start working properly. It eventually cools down to way it normally feels when you touch it. The external hard drive will stop blinking and the one blue light will just be on instead blinking up and down the blue lights. I am ignorant but it appears to me that when it is doing its backup or whatever by Dish at 2am that it is getting hung up. The unit is so hot I am afraid that if I am not at home to unplug it that it might start a fire. What do you guys think? Should I get another DVR or what? Thanks as always for your help.:confused:

Let it cool off by unplugging it for at least an hour or two. Then start it up and move everything off the internal HD to the ehd, Then replace it. You can check the min/mac and average temp by going to Menu 6 3 Counters. Go down to Hard Drive Counters:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)