Why get a usb wfii adapter on a 722/k w built in homeplug?

getstuff4less

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
CA
I don't understand. Mine shows online already. Is there a new menu, is it faster? I want to get one with built in DLNA. How do I know which will work? Do I just buy and return?

Last edited:
I agree with what 3HaloODST said. However, you gotta make sure it's version 2 of the adapter (I don't know if v1 will work).

802.11N model WNDA -3100v2

In that case, might be better off going to a store to get it, as on Amazon there is no guarantee it will be a v2.

There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the usb adapter. There are four ways to connect to the internet

• Hardwired Ethernet The fastest, cheapest, most secure way to go. Stringing the cables can be a chore!
  • Homeplug Simple and already built in to to the receiver. Requires a homeplug adapter at the router side and may not work depending upon home wiring. Precludes the use of most surge protectors* and/or ups's.
  • USB wifi adapter Simple and can be inexpensive. At $25 Dish is the cheapest by far. May have range issues due to lack of external antenna. Can only connect to one device, other devices would require their own adapters.
  • Gaming adapter Potentially more complicated than the usb or homeplug solutions. Can have better range than usb due to better antenna. Can have the ability to interface with other devices (game console, dvd player, etc) along with the receiver. Multiple devices will may require an additional switch. Tends to be more expensive.
If you're connected now and working ok, there is no need to change anything. I have two receivers, one hooked up thru a gaming adapter and one thru a usb adapter. Once set up, the end user cannot tell the difference.

*The use of which as been discussed :dead elsewhere.

Doubt Best Buy would have one cheaper than $25, so in that case I'd go for the E* deal.

@EatMyVolts: You forgot a router with DD-WRT running as a client bridge or in WDS :p . It has much better range than even a "gaming adapter" and has 4 ports (potentially 5 if you convert the WAN port) and you can up the Xmit power for even more range. I have a WRT54GS hooked to one of my 722ks clear across the house through 4 walls and still get a SNR of 30-40 paired with a WRT54GL. I have 4 of these routers networked in such fashion.

Last edited:
True, DD-WRT is a very viable (although a potentially more complicated) option.

As I read it, the OP was already connected by some means and was wondering if they should change their setup. If it's working well, there's no reason to change. The one thing I can't figure out is why there is so much resistance to adapter Dish is selling. There are good reasons to use another method, but if you just want to hook up one device, cheaply and easily, it's hard to beat.

I spoke with someone on another forum and he could not get a V1 wifi adapter to recognize no matter what. And the one E* sells is awesome. 25$ for a wireless USB wifi adapter?! I've even tried using it for my desktop when my original wifi card went out.. a quick download (or flash drive transfer, in my case) from netgear for the drivers and ur good :)

The Dish adapters are cheap because they get them in bulk since they are really pushing broadband connection.

Techs can give them for free on a new install if they have any in stock on the truck. They do have very poor range though.

When I purchased mine back in October at Walmart they had both versions however it was not indicated on the box what version was inside.

Attachments

• 100_4430.JPG
    100_4430.JPG
    402.6 KB · Views: 129

As I read it, the OP was already connected by some means and was wondering if they should change their setup. If it's working well, there's no reason to change. The one thing I can't figure out is why there is so much resistance to adapter Dish is selling. There are good reasons to use another method, but if you just want to hook up one device, cheaply and easily, it's hard to beat.
I don't even have a hp adapter on the router side. Somehow it shows status online w/ an IP addy!

No doubt the $25 adapter is a great deal, but I needed more range and I had a spare WRT54GS, so why not :) ?

I think $25 from E* will be hard to beat. I'm planning on running to Best Buy tomorrow, will see if I can find one there.

What the link to Dish's Netgear.
Did find a number of refurbs at Amazon for around $25 including shipping.

Since I think I would only need to use the ethernet connection when I'm away from home to control the dvr.
Do you need to be connected to your router to use the sling adapter? If so then just running a cable from my dvr to my router when I'm on vaca would work.

My main problems are range, and wireless bandwidth.

When streaming in house this thing EATS bandwidth... 8 to 9 megs continuosly. This slows down other wireless devices I have ... so I went with a DD-WRT solution ... in fact ... I found NewEgg had Buffalo's 300N (8 meg flash, 32 meg ram) for 40 bucks.. buy two ... and I now have a completely seperate wireless network for my "adapter" devices... the PC's now go to the house wireless for internet access, all other wireless devices connect to the 2nd wireless router (first Buffalo 300N) and then through cat5 to the gateway, while at the far side of the house, I have the 722k, my Bluray, my Onkyo NR808 receiver, and an ethernet drop for a wired PC at that end..

while I spent 80 for this solution ... it really cleaned up network access, and when it comes to inhouse use of the 722k/Sling ... it made that traffic even more accessible and less congesitive .. I can now watch on my laptop with wireless ... where as before I would get stuttering for all the traffic going on..

Its a simple economics of scale .. if you'll only ever just hook up the dish receiver with wireless.. then sure.. go that route.. but when you run into network congestion ... you'll be back bitchy that things are not working well.. or when you add up the adapter for your other DLNA devices ... or upgrade your TV ... then what? ... the listed price originally for a wireless adapter on my bluray was 65 freakin' dollars.. Sixty f**kin' Five! Irritation of that kind of WASTE for *one* single solution.. ick.

And I should also note.. that NewEgg was also selling TrendNet's N based TEW-647GA (Game Adapter) for 24.99 ... so that device attached in an N network with a 5 port el cheapo switch also allows multiple devices, and the installation of that ... damned near idiot proof..

.... added to my 80 dollars.. that made 104 bucks invested to network 8 devices onto a seperate wireless network away from the PC ... or 13 dollars per device ... that's a pretty good deal!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)