somethings not right with my hd setup help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wvulax01

Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
From what everyone tells me the picture on hd programing should really wow you mine for some reason does not do that. let me give u the run down of the equipment i have.
RCA 52" rear projection hdtv
Direct-tv H10 HD receiver
Monster component cables 800

Can someone please tell me if i am missing something. the pic on espn hd for example is better than regular espn but it doesn't wow. i know i didn't go to all this trouble for what i am seeing.

Please help!
Thx

Welcome to DirecTv's compression! OTA used to WOW "back in the day" before they started using a ton of filters b/c HD made actors look so bad.

You will be wowed when you see your first OTA live sporting event.

native mode

the native mode made it worse and it split the espn hd into 3 pillars

I am sure the D52W20 is 99% the same, or maybe the actual model. Have you tried the DVI inputs? What resolutions does the set display? Sounds like an incorrect setting or connection. The IRD should remain on NATIVE unless the TV only does 720p or 1080i and the set the IRD to that. I would check pg 10 of the guide to make 100% sure you are connected correctly.

wvulax01 said:
From what everyone tells me the picture on hd programing should really wow you mine for some reason does not do that. let me give u the run down of the equipment i have.
RCA 52" rear projection hdtv
Direct-tv H10 HD receiver
Monster component cables 800

Can someone please tell me if i am missing something. the pic on espn hd for example is better than regular espn but it doesn't wow. i know i didn't go to all this trouble for what i am seeing.

Please help!
Thx

Thats the way many D* HD subs feel. All 1920x1080i HD on D* is downrezzed to 1280x1080i. Get cable or Dish for superior HD PQ.

FWIW, My RCP DLP came with the picture adjustments FAR from optimized.

If you don't want to have the set calibrated, at least try one of them DVD picture tuning discs. It did WONDERS for mine.

wvulax01 said:
what does ota mean
"Over the air" aka antenna reception with an ATSC tuner located in your HD sat box, If you have a local CBS affiliate that broadcasts in HD OTA with no subchannels in 1080i thats what you need to see and use as "reference" quality IMO.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)