Status
Please reply by conversation.

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I just bought a new SonicView FTA receiver and it shows 99% signal strength and 0% quality all the time as long as the lnb is connected even if I swing the dish away from a signal. I have a First Strike Meter and peaked the dish with it and it is also giving me quality levels. I do a scan of the satellite and it will not recognize any transponders. Does anybody know what could be going on or if the receiver is bad?

Last edited:
No matter where the dish is positioned it always shows 99%. I put specific parameters into the receiver to pickup Glorystar stations from 97W.

Blind scan got me nothing. I tried two universal lnb's. One I bought off of ebay several years back and the other I used on the skyway dish that I am using to try to tune in the signals.

Does the SV has blindscan?. maybe the TP parameters are not correct (although unlikely since 97W is pretty crowded). did you try the meter inside the house behind the receiver to chkeck for signal quality and lock?. was that coaxial working before?, can you swap receivers?. always power cycle the reciver as well when having problems.

strenght will always show something as long as the LNB is properly connected , quality will only show a value other than 0 if the dish is aimed properly.

I have no receiver to swap it with. I only have one FTA receiver and this is my first one. This is the first time I have messed with a FTA receiver and it seems like such a hassle. I have set everything back to default factory settings and did a power cycle and it did no good for me. I have a small television outside with the dish and receiver so that I can see what I can pick up and train myself how to tune these signals in. I just do not understand why the receiver would show 99% signal all of the time. It makes me wonder if the quality of these receivers are bad.

The receiver shows that it is intelisat at 97W.

I just hooked up a Directv lnb on the dish and got 97% signal on a Directv receiver. Connected the universal lnb back up and still don't get anything with a blind scan.

This is a Sonicview 360 Premier. Software version is 1.10

I just downloaded the latest firmware and loaded it into the box. Same issues. No change. This box is a JOKE!!!

Don't be confused by the signal and quality strength meters; signal measures the strenght between the Sonicview and your LNB, Quality measures the strenght between the LNB and the satellite.

Do you have the Sonciview set up properly? You didn't say. make sure you enter the correct satellite, the correct LNB frequency. Then select a transponder that you fell has the greatest strength (LynSat might help here) and move your dish until you get the best possible quality reading and scan your SAT.

Best of Luck!

I just bought a new SonicView FTA receiver and it shows 99% signal strength and 0% quality all the time as long as the lnb is connected even if I swing the dish away from a signal.

That's because signal strength is measuring the connection between your lnb and the receiver. It has nothing to do with whether or not you're actually pointed to a satellite and receiving signals from transponders. That's were signal QUALITY comes into play. That is the number that you need to get readings on in order to get channels.

So you are saying that it is normal for it to show 99% signal strength when the receiver is connected to the lnb even if it does not have a signal? It is not even picking up any signals. It never reads a quality when I tune in a signal from my signal meter (which reads signal and quality settings).

I have a Videocypher box that I can hook up. I hooked it up about ten years ago and got the NBC feeds among other things on a Primestar dish. Is there any Videocypher content any longer and if so what satellites would they be on? Perhaps I could hook this box up to tune those signals in then hook this FTA box back up to see if it will receive off of the satellite as well.

Last edited:
So you are saying that it is normal for it to show 99% signal strength when the receiver is connected to the lnb even if it does not have a signal? It is not even picking up any signals. It never reads a quality when I tune in a signal from my signal meter (which reads signal and quality settings).

I have a Videocypher box that I can hook up. I hooked it up about ten years ago and got the NBC feeds among other things on a Primestar dish. Is there any Videocypher content any longer and if so what satellites would they be on? Perhaps I could hook this box up to tune those signals in then hook this FTA box back up to see if it will receive off of the satellite as well.

It is not "normal" to get 99% on your signal, unless you have a real short run, I usually have a 80 - 90% on my HD8000. You will not get a "quality" reading unless you are on the sat you are shooting, others more than likely will not show quality. I assume you have factory S/W loaded, and your box has the correct settings loaded. If you wish you may swap out a circular LNB for the linear you are using and try to shoot one of the DB encrypted sats as they have a stronger signal, remember to change your LNB frequency.

there are a couple of videocypher II signals still on C Band but can't remember which sat they are on-- I don't remember reading if you are trying for a C Band or Ku band sat, it makes a big difference in LNB frequency settings. I think the 360 is a good FTA receiver, my 8000 works great, except for the fact that the power supply just blew onme, so I'll have to replace a couple of caps and I'll be back in business.

If you have any other questions just ask.

Good Luck

Phoxx

stargazer, if you got signal/quality on a directv box, that dish must be aimed at a DTV satellite. As far as I remember, the Directv signals are not regular DVB signals, and won't be viewable by fta boxes (as opposed to dishnetwork signals, which are, or were, dvb and could be scanned in by fta receivers.)

I brought my c-band dish out and was able to get some channels on 91W on it and have very good quality. It brought in FX channels (according to the info screen) and some other stuff. Then when I started going through more channels it had the same thing on several channels it seemed and then it said it needed a newer software version. I do not know what that is all about.

This receiver does have factory software on it and I had just updated it earlier to the latest version from their website. At least I got somewhere with this thing.

Sometimes you have to run the "Sysclean" file. If the receiver has been hacked in the distant past it may still have some fragments of hacker S/W in the flash.

After the sysclean file, do a hard boot, a system reset, then put the latest factory software on from the Sonicview site.;)

This is a brand new receiver so it should not have hackware on it. Where do I get the Sysclean file at?

I finally got 97W. Had to manually input the Freq and SR as the SR was 1 number off from what the factory installed software had on it and none of the other ones would register a quality.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)