Sony: $299 Blu-ray Player In 2008

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I doubt itll be 2.0, Id think itll be 1.1. I bet the 2.0 players will be $299 during the holidays with some 1.1's being $199

I just bought a DMP-BD30. $430 (although it's price immediately jumped back to $499 soon after I ordered it). Played one of the Pirates movies so far. Works pretty good. But, not only does the remote look almost EXACTLY like my Panasonic DMR-EZ27, every time I push play the recorder goes on. I saw that there are 3 modes for the remote. As soon as I figure it out (and the maintenance level, which isnt obvious w these Panasonic products) I guess I'll be ok. But really, these prices REALLY should come down. No more making lost money back. If they want to replace DVD that have to be more aggresive.

How long before "they":

A) Zoom in on "likely offer."
B) Decry Swanni and issue a personal attack.
C) Say that the comment about offering a sub-$200 player this holiday season is just a rumor.
D) All of the above.

I just bought a DMP-BD30. $430 (although it's price immediately jumped back to $499 soon after I ordered it). Played one of the Pirates movies so far. Works pretty good. But, not only does the remote look almost EXACTLY like my Panasonic DMR-EZ27, every time I push play the recorder goes on. I saw that there are 3 modes for the remote. As soon as I figure it out (and the maintenance level, which isnt obvious w these Panasonic products) I guess I'll be ok. But really, these prices REALLY should come down. No more making lost money back. If they want to replace DVD that have to be more aggresive.

Ive had the BD30 since early Jan and love it. I do know what you mean by the remote looking like ol other panny's.

I feel, now that the hd-dvd deal is over and there is on format moving ahead, you are going to see prices drop and they will still be making a profit.

Just a theory... Follow me on this. MS just announced price cut to fall in line with the Wii for pricing right?

So what if Sony cuts down to $299 on the PS3 to keep in step.

It is Sony making this announcment correct?

Just a theory and a thought. Then it would be a 2.0 player am I correct in this assumption as well?

And if that is correct, Would it be that the Video game market is driving this not the BD market?

I am trying to be fair and balanced. So please enlighten me if I am wrong :)

Prices will drop, features will increase, just not instantly. But surely the move to Blu will be strong in the second half of the year.

I'd also speculate that later this year we will likely see the need for firmware updates decrease. That will help the move to the mainstream. As the utilization of 1.1 features and chipsets become more familiar, fewer mistakes and omissions should be made- which drives the updates. And if more profile 2 ("live") features are developed as BD-J becomes more robust, the firmware updates that might arise could be almost invisible since you'd be connected to the internet already. The system would see you need an update for the new feature, and would automatically get it.

I'm not a big believer in the need for 2.0 for the masses. Most people will likely never connect their BD player to the internet, even if they have a profile 2 machine. How many HD DVD players ever did? I want it for updates, might even try some "live" features. But I think most people won't bother.

We'll see. Things should be much clearer on the advance of Blu-ray into the market by year's end.

Actually, I don't see it happening this year either. Xmas 2009, maybe.

I don't expect the BDA to give away players in some desperate attempt to gain market share. The whole purpose is to make money, both for CE companies making hardware, and for studios making software. And, of course, royalties/license fees for a "few" others. ;)

They need to make some money. The PS3 killed them. Maybe they're planning the big push to coincide with the analog to digital conversion of TV. "Would you like a Blu-ray player to go with your new digital TV? They're only $200."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)