Sony and Disney begin streaming movies still in theaters in a bold move against piracy

Streaming is the future. Now tomorrow or next week but down the road we'll be able to enjoy first run movies in our own home theatre.
I'd gladly pay more, within reason, and with an acceptable delay..

Cheers, K

Streaming is the future. Now tomorrow or next week but down the road we'll be able to enjoy first run movies in our own home theatre.
I'd gladly pay more, within reason, and with an acceptable delay..

Cheers, K

Movie theaters will not give up easily. I do however seeing Hollywood getting agreements with theaters for less popular movies to go to VOD much faster, theater owners would love to be able to dump less popular movies if they could get out of the carrying contracts faster.

I think its a nice idea of offering current box office titles via streaming but,how will that combat piracy?

Movie theaters will not give up easily. I do however seeing Hollywood getting agreements with theaters for less popular movies to go to VOD much faster, theater owners would love to be able to dump less popular movies if they could get out of the carrying contracts faster.

Theatres don't have a say in it as they're the forum of the end product. If Studios can find a way to bypass cinemas cut while maintaining their profit, they will!

Some lesser known titles were already on VOD before/during a theatrical run. Deadfall and The Goon come to mind.

I suppose it would eliminate people using cameras in theaters,coughing,people standing up etc.I'm sure the pirates would just rip off the stream and post all over the web.

A few years back there was featured cartoon (maybe Earth A.D)... it was digitally transfered from LA to an NYC theatre. I do recall the article stating the transfer had a b**** of security features behind it to prevent anyone from tapping it.

Cheers, K

I suppose it would eliminate people using cameras in theaters,coughing,people standing up etc.I'm sure the pirates would just rip off the stream and post all over the web.

I enjoy the "movie experience"...whoever, the coughling, talking, cell phones, eating, long lines just ruin it for me.

Theatres don't have a say in it as they're the forum of the end product. If Studios can find a way to bypass cinemas cut while maintaining their profit, they will!

Some lesser known titles were already on VOD before/during a theatrical run. Deadfall and The Goon come to mind.

Theaters do have a big say. Major chains have thousands of screens and if they do not like the studio's terms they will not carry the movie. Opening weekend with 3500 screens (major release) vs 2000 because a lot of theaters refuse a film would substantially cut the film's profit.

Strait to DVD or early release DVD/VOD are signs that the film will not be able to draw an audience, so theaters will not pick it up.

I figured the theaters would've been a thing of the past long ago. I was wrong. Even with prices at maybe $10 a person the younger folks still go a lot. I've went to maybe one show a year...us older folks can wait til it comes out on dvd. I make sure I eat before the show as the concession prices are rather inflated. Even if you could pay to watch a first run movie at home I don't see it hurting the theaters since a lot of folks will always pay for the experience at the movies

My wife is from the Philippines and in the past when going "home" we would have some friends offer to let us watch those pirated copies, I would decline because they were so bad they were basically useless. Then two years ago (after the dvd codes were broken) we were over there a couple weeks after Rio was released to theaters (in the US), and my brother in law had just bought a dvd copy of it, digital format, and it was almost like watching a dvd here (it was just the movie, no extras, etc.)

My wife is from the Philippines and in the past when going "home" we would have some friends offer to let us watch those pirated copies, I would decline because they were so bad they were basically useless. Then two years ago (after the dvd codes were broken) we were over there a couple weeks after Rio was released to theaters (in the US), and my brother in law had just bought a dvd copy of it, digital format, and it was almost like watching a dvd here (it was just the movie, no extras, etc.)

That is what the studios hope to stop with PPV streams early. If you can PPV over the internet a quality copy from the studio at a reasonable price the pirated DVD may not be worth getting. Yes you could watch again with a DVD, but how many movies do you really watch multiple times?

Theaters do have a big say. Major chains have thousands of screens and if they do not like the studio's terms they will not carry the movie. Opening weekend with 3500 screens (major release) vs 2000 because a lot of theaters refuse a film would substantially cut the film's profit.

Strait to DVD or early release DVD/VOD are signs that the film will not be able to draw an audience, so theaters will not pick it up.

True... but my point was if Studios can find a way to bypass cinemas and still maintain their profit margin, they wouldnt hesitate twice to flush cinemas away.

Cinemas dont invest in the actual product nor marketing...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)