Sony and Samsung Drop UHD TV Prices

Maybe lower, but still in crazy rich first adopter territory. Kind of like plasmas in the 1990s. Reasonable folks will be waiting for economies of scale to drop prices to the $1-2k level before you see any significant penetration.

Maybe lower, but still in crazy rich first adopter territory. Kind of like plasmas in the 1990s. Reasonable folks will be waiting for economies of scale to drop prices to the $1-2k level before you see any significant penetration.

What exactly are you supposed to watch on one of these sets if you buy one? Is UHD readily available on blu-ray movies now? I can see making the upgrade but not if the average movie I want to go out and buy or rent isn't even available past 1080p.

If it hasn't even hit blu-ray for releases that are more than just tech demos who would buy them at that price? Who knows how long it will be before UHD or even 1080p starts becoming available on cable or satellite. Some people say the reason 3D isn't regularly used in homes is due to the lack of content. I actually like 3D and and rent blu-ray 3D movies from my local store often. At least with 3D I know where to find it even if Dish doesn't want to give it to me. I wouldn't even know where to look for UHD content though.

I know this will take off eventually but for economies of scale to start dropping prices, larger numbers of people have to start buying UHD TVs. There won't be economies of scale if it remains an extremely early adopter, niche product.

There is a bit of a problem though. Large numbers of people won't go out and buy UHD TVs if there isn't plenty of UHD content available to watch. Content providers won't start pushing out UHD content if UHD TVs don't start ending up in more homes.

Sony has their distribution service in place and is up and running. More will come down the road. NF has said it plans on having their 4K system up and running by the end of next year. $5498 is less than Sony's top TV from last year.

S~

When plasma first emerged, or HDTV for that matter, there was little or no content available. The sets were sold on promise of future content and on the best possible image using current content (upscaling).

There will be 4k content and fairly soon. Some very limited stuff is available now. However, these sets will fail the early adopter test in that new standards will emerge to accomodate new technology and these sets won't support them. Kind of like early HDTVs didn't have HDMI, or even DVI inputs and could not support HDCP handshake.

Sony has their distribution service in place and is up and running. More will come down the road. NF has said it plans on having their 4K system up and running by the end of next year. $5498 is less than Sony's top TV from last year.

S~

I'm a little skeptical of having to rely on a 4K streaming service from Sony to fix the UHD content problem. I'm not a picture quality snob but 1080p from Netflix doesn't look or sound as good as 1080p bluray. I think Netflix quality is very good and sometimes better than my Dish signal although many would disagree with me. Like I said though, I'm just skeptical that streaming will be the answer for UHD. Until TV providers and just about every big movie starts getting released in 4K it won't be a big thing.

I do understand that this will take over eventually just like HD did. I think we're still a long ways off though.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Not quite. Both Sony and Samsung are offering an upgrade path for their current sets. Samsung has already announced their "One Connect" Kit. Sony hasn't officially announced theirs yet. This will only matter for non film based content shot at 50/60 fps. Current sets will support film until they use something other than 24fps.

S~

Not quite. Both Sony and Samsung are offering an upgrade path for their current sets. Samsung has already announced their "One Connect" Kit. Sony hasn't officially announced theirs yet. This will only matter for non film based content shot at 50/60 fps. Current sets will support film until they use something other than 24fps.

S~

Sorry, but the same promises were made for many many early adoption products. In my experience, the promised adapter never materialized, or was so expensive that it was cheaper to toss the product and start over.

I am thinking of a history of AC-3 adapters for Laserdiscs, AM stereo adapters, DTS plug ins for early dolby digital receivers, for that matter dolby digital adapters for dolby pro-logic receivers. On and on through broadcast TV stereo adapters, component inputs, promises that DVI was the future, etc, etc. I can think of very few where the promise was met, and in those cases, the standard was already well in development and generally only required a firmware update.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but I do have a pile of equipment with useless connectors on the back for future enhancements that never happened.

Samsung is standing by their announcement and knocking all of the other manufacturers for not beining upgradable. The main reaason Sony says they also have an upgrade path. It will be available, just like the Evolution kit for the 2012 models that brought in the features of their 2013 models materialized.

S~

We are really at a sit and wait point. I mean there is good stuff already being made, next few years are gonna be outdated tech/early adopter hell.

that's exactly what the one connect kit is. Besides 2.0 is not needed for film based content, only video based @ 50/60.

S~

What if the Hobbit (and other films) start coming out at 48p?

This is sort of like component on the first HDTVs... They will somehow make it obsolete. It would be one thing if it was a $1000 TV. At $4-$6k I want something that will at least take all the inputs for the next 5 years.

More than likely they will be released in 24p, also, like the hobbit. The One Connect kit for the Samsung is HDMI 2.0. From what I am hearing, Sony will be replacing the HDMI board as their upgrade path. They're already replacing the board on their older sets for their media server to work since they went with HDCP 2.2 and linked the player to their TV only.

S~

I would not buy one until they come out with HDMI 2.0 that really supports 4k.

Yep. IMHO it would be foolish to invest before HDMI 2.0 AND the version of Blu-ray that supports UHD comes out - and that probably won't be until near the end of next year.

Thanks Navy for saying it before I had to. Bookmark this post folks and put me down for an I told you so in a couple of years. The industry's track record has been awful on this sort of thing.

If Sony wasn't trying to control everything, like BD, we wouldn't need to have this conversation. Red can already do True 4K (4096X2160) and UHD in 2D and 3D with playback framerates of 24, 25, 30, 48, 50, 60 fps over one HDMI 1.4 cable.

S~

I agree, Red would be a fine choice. Needless to say, after battling thru the blu-ray/hd-dvd wars, EDTV, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 3D. Im sitting on the sidelines for this one.

But that would hurt Dolby, DTS, Sony licensing, etc. Red uses simple lossless 7.1 channel PCM, all in a file smaller than a BD.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts