SONY and VOOM

HDVoomer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 25, 2004
Just was wondering how people would feel about Sony replacing Motorola as the new STB maker? Knowing full well that Sony is trying to re-establish itself as the number one consumer electronics maker in the industry, I think is only makes sense to partner with a company who is pushing the HD industry, which is Voom.

I would like that. Never been a fan of Motorola products. Still have a 4DTV for my BUD too that they don't support anymore.

I truly believe that Sony is one of the best consumer electronics makers on the planet. Although they are not perfect, they have many more hits than misses IMO. I am a big fan of their TV's, Playstation 2 and now the Playstation Portable, which has to be one of the coolest devices I've ever seen. I know Sony is making some changes in their organization and I think partnering with a company like Voom HD, LLC. would be a terrific coup on Voom's side. I think both parties could get something out of this. Voom gets out of their Motorola contract and aligns themselves with powerhouse in Sony. Sony can say they are a HD pioneer and can prove so by manufacturing equipment for Voom. Sony could also supply digital broadcast equipment to Voom's uplink facilities if needed. Also lets not forget about MPEG-4 coming online in the very near future and Sony can go ahead now and start producing these boxes now.

I would guess Sony could offer a more sleek design to their STB plus a faster processor could be included for channel surfing. Just my 2 cents...

Sony would be a good alternative to Motorola. It is already my favorite TV, so why not have a matching STB... :) ..
In an article at this link http://www.pcworld.com/resource/article/0,aid,120161,pg,1,RSS,RSS,00.asp
it looks as though Sony is considering backing off of their "Blu-Ray" format for HD DVD's and is looking at the possibility of unifying "Blu-Ray" with its competing format "HD-DVD", which IMO will be better for consumers when HD DVD's and players finally hit the market later this year. It also states in this article that Ryoji Chubachi, the new president of Sony, is taking a different look at the companies future strategy in the CE market... So who knows where or what that will mean...

admin,

not to be a party pooper, but can we move this thread off of news?

thanks
jeremy

I for one would love to have Sony make Vooms STB. My friend has the Sony XBR960 widescreen HDTV with a built in HDtuner and can receive far more OTA local channels then i can. He has the same in door antenna that i have the TERK TV5. We live less then one half mile from each other. He can reveive over 30 OTA channels to the ten that i am receiving and he can pick up Comcast HD out of Philadelphia. Were 100 miles northeast of Philadelphia. So who's OTA tuner do you think is better Motorola or Sony?

Sony makes D* STB units, D* will never allow it and Motorola does make good units and a lot of probllems people have with STBs is because of software, not just hardware.

I hope Vooms Motorola DVR STB is better then the ones that we all have now? Because i don't want to go out and buy a new HDTV just because they have better OTA tuners then what our Voom Motorola STBs have in them.

bruce said:
Sony makes D* STB units, D* will never allow it and Motorola does make good units and a lot of probllems people have with STBs is because of software, not just hardware.

This is not true; Sony has been out of the D* STB biz for a couple of years. LG was making their own brand, Sony and Zenith, but anyway D* has gone to D* branded units ONLY made by Thomson and Samsung.

charper1 said:
This is not true; Sony has been out of the D* STB biz for a couple of years. LG was making their own brand, Sony and Zenith, but anyway D* has gone to D* branded units ONLY made by Thomson and Samsung.

Well, a lot of retailers are still selling Sony units like the SONY SAS B-65D and the SONY SAS A-65 units.

Charper1 your right about Sony they don't make STBs for D*anymore. If you want to buy one lets say the Sony300 STB for D* you would have to buy it from E-BAY.

007BlackMan said:
I for one would love to have Sony make Vooms STB. My friend has the Sony XBR960 widescreen HDTV with a built in HDtuner and can receive far more OTA local channels then i can. He has the same in door antenna that i have the TERK TV5. We live less then one half mile from each other. He can reveive over 30 OTA channels to the ten that i am receiving and he can pick up Comcast HD out of Philadelphia. Were 100 miles northeast of Philadelphia. So who's OTA tuner do you think is better Motorola or Sony?
If your friend is watching comcast hd he subscribes to comcast. as comcast hd is delivered via cable not sat

I am telling you he can receive Comcast HD. My friend doesn't like sports all that much so i know that he wouldn't subscribe to Comcast. We have the same Cable Company and comcast hd isn't part of our programming it's SDTV were we live. He also is picking up some PPV INHD channel all with OTA antenna. I know that it's hard to believe i couldn't my self at first.

There's no problem with Moto's HW - it's much more about its SW... AFAIK that's still Moto's own development, though...

stevesmall said:
If your friend is watching comcast hd he subscribes to comcast. as comcast hd is delivered via cable not sat
Stevesmall you could be right about my friend subscribing to Comcast HD. I just went to my cable company website and they offer Comcast SportsHD,HDNet,HDNetmovies,UHD,TNTHD,FOXHD,ABCHD,ESPNHD and DiscoveryHD. I didn't know they offered any HD untill today and the price is right with STB. My friend has a smart card or cablecard built in his TV and that is how he is receiving all of the HD channels. But i think he doesn't know that he will have to pay for this programming. Thanks you opened my eyes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts