Sony/cannon Camcorders

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK94541

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
San Francisco
I’m in market next couple months to buy Camcorder; Looking at the SONY HDR-CX520V is around thousand dollars & HDR-CX550V release in March for a little bit over thousand. Thought getting the CX550V since is couple hundred more then 2009 model & is the newest model.
Was wondering if u guys have any suggestion or experience u have between “SONY OR CANNON” camcorders,Might be able to help to purchase,to me both great brands in camcorders & looking for to buy!

Thank you:)

Last edited:
I'm quite happy with my Canon HF-100. It uses SDHC cards. Not sure if the Sony's have removable memory, but I highly recommend removable. And not those proprietary Sony memory sticks. Something like the SDHC cards is more cost effective and widely supported.

You can pop out and replace removable memory cards quickly, and pop them into other readers. Internal memory, IMHO, is of little use- it takes longer to download from.

My first camcorder was a Sony. It was nothing but trouble.

I have the Canon HF-200, also uses removable SDHC cards.

It's been great, and does both video and still pictures.

Buy an extra battery!

Cool, I’m looked at the HF200 is pretty good i liked it..But Sony CX520V is kinda better picture to me in low light and daylight, still deciding and searching a abit between the two brands ,I like someone put comment here also whoever has Sony HDR-CX500V series..Only sony problem about is , Dont have 24bit cinema feather, like canon or panasonic camcoders dose...Kinda turn off to me.

O well BUT thanks for great help guys :)

Last edited:
We have the Sony HDR-SR11, which is last year's model, and I believe a slightly lower series.

Uses memory sticks in addition to the hard drive. We have been very happy with image quality. We also like the face recognition for exposure and focusing. It let's you immediately know what the camcorder is thinking and allows you to react more quickly. It does not have firewire, and USB transfer is slower than I would like. It also has still mode, although not as nice as my digital SLR, but it is available.

Here is something recorded with this camera. Handheld and in a crowded room. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZliNP5gegwc"]YouTube- Carol of the Bells- Capa[/ame]

Last edited:
WOW..Thnaks jayn
What a sharp,crsip clean picture..i like that carlo of the bells song
real nice man ..U got a nice cam :)
I'm looking at the HDR-CX550V a bit over thousand dollars 2010 model ,Better in low light , bigger screen & more feathers of course but still dont have the 24bit i'm looking for again .. even in newest model..o well still searching..
But thanks :)

I have just returned from a trip during which I used two Sony Camcorders, one is the XR500V and the other is the brother XR520V. (The only difference is the hard drive size.) Both are '09 models and both were bought at good discounts (~$850 ea.). Both worked flawlessly during the vacation and took great video in all situations. Good models for an amateur like me that likes to use the auto modes most of the time. Both were used in an underwater housing (at different times) to record my scuba adventures in addition to the above-water stuff. Their exceptional low-light capabilities helped a lot in the UW situations. Well designed. Have the same face recognition features that jayn_j mentioned above. I use Sony Memory Sticks to move material between the cameras and to other devices. I also have a Sony DVD burner (connected via USB) that will turn the cameras' AVCHD files into full quality HD/5.1 SS disks that will play in most BD players. I back-up all the files to an external HDD via my computer. I have yet to do any real editing, need to learn how first! The Sony "Picture Motion" SW that comes with the camera will allow some rudimentary stuff.

Here's a link to a good article that compares the various '09 models: (I retitled the link.) Sony wins in some categories and the Canon HF S10 in others.

Sony HDR-XR520V review

The newer XR550V has 1080p capability (the Sony's mentioned above are 1080i) and larger viewing screens, priced accordingly and not available until March.

I recommend B&H photo for good prices on "used" cameras, like the 520V I bought. The only way I could tell it was used was the seal on the box was broken, otherwise looked brand new!

Last edited:
Cool bhelms..
Ya I think SONY better choice for me too when I play with it in best buy as picture quality & feathers!!..ya 550V is gonna be in march , price Sony web site says $1,399 but I can get that after some internet pricing around $1,100 or maybe thousand ..Says it 1080p but is not true1080p/24p cinema… that’s what I’m looking for in cam the most .. Will I gonna see internet reviews an all after release in March before I purchasing it
But thanks & glad worked for you tho :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)