Sony is FAKING Blu-Ray Demos

T2k

The Raw Nerve
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 5, 2004
Park Slope, NYC
http://gearlog.com/blogs/gearlog/archive/2006/05/16/11622.aspx

"On one table Sony execs proudly displayed two ARs playing early Blu-ray content: The House of Flying Daggers . They even had the Blu-ray packaging. So exciting...but WAIT! I went ahead and ejected one of the Blu-ray drives to see my first Blu-ray disc. Instead, I found a crummy, old school DVD+R, complete with the Sharpie-written, House of Flying Daggers. Apparently even Sony can't get its hands on Blu-ray content!"

Unbelievable. Sony has reached its lowest point - this is the most pathetic, cheapest tactics, faking your public technology demos.:down

"This obviously fake. But assuming this VAIO is actually playing a demo from a DVD, like a small HD clip from the movie, what's wrong with that? "

"So it might be ok if Lance came back and said he was just messing around... or that he got confused about which laptop he was taking a picture of.... or just that he's an idiot.... except for one problem: He wrote this story 7 days ago talking about how Blue-ray disks were doomed: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1959609,00.asp. This whole thing reeks of purposeful journalistic fraud. Even if he tried to come back and say he made a mistake.... it's a pretty big coincidence that you just wrote a story about the product a week ago. Honestly, I'll be upset if you keep your job at PC Mag. "

Im not sure Ole Lance knows anything about the subject he writes about. He totally dismisses the storage advantage Blu Ray has over HD DVD. The idiot actually calls them even in his article. Given T2k's barrage of Blu ray trashing posts and Lance's rantings Im inclined to believe that they both spend their weekends mowing Bill Gate's lawn. :rolleyes:

FYI, T2K your beloved Voom faked plenty of demos.

Last edited:
Not trying to take sides but is there really any other advantages of BluRay over HD DVD other then disk size? While I see that as an advantage, if all things were comparable, whats the problem with my 4 hour HD movie divided on 2 discs?

Brewer4 said:
Not trying to take sides but is there really any other advantages of BluRay over HD DVD other then disk size? While I see that as an advantage, if all things were comparable, whats the problem with my 4 hour HD movie divided on 2 discs?

Future proofing (a bit) Remember when folks said who needed more then 640Kb or RAM in a PC and 20MB harddrives would hold everything we ever needed? If we're going to start a new standard I'd rather go with the one that has the most capacity now then 5 or 10 years down the road wishing we had more capacity.

Brewer4 said:

Lets face it. Once the "copying" begins. I want disks that will hold more than one HD movie. Why does everyone focus only on movies? The data applications are enormous for Blu Ray. Entire 40-60 gig drive backed up to one Blu Ray disk maybe with some compression routine.? Incredible. Terrabyte Blu ray servers made of Blu ray RW disks?

vurbano said:
"This obviously fake. But assuming this VAIO is actually playing a demo from a DVD, like a small HD clip from the movie, what's wrong with that? "

"So it might be ok if Lance came back and said he was just messing around... or that he got confused about which laptop he was taking a picture of.... or just that he's an idiot.... except for one problem: He wrote this story 7 days ago talking about how Blue-ray disks were doomed: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1959609,00.asp. This whole thing reeks of purposeful journalistic fraud. Even if he tried to come back and say he made a mistake.... it's a pretty big coincidence that you just wrote a story about the product a week ago. Honestly, I'll be upset if you keep your job at PC Mag. "

Im not sure Ole Lance knows anything about the subject he writes about. He totally dismisses the storage advantage Blu Ray has over HD DVD.

Umm the one that only necessary due to the fact that BD uses the old MPEG2?

LOL, really pathetic.

The idiot actually calls them even in his article. Given T2k's barrage of Blu ray trashing posts and Lance's rantings Im inclined to believe that they both spend their weekends mowing Bill Gate's lawn. :rolleyes:

FYI, T2K your beloved Voom faked plenty of demos.

Apart from your usual low-life adhom attacks you couldn't help your beloved Sony's case, loser. :D
Sony is faking its own tech demos, period. Eat this. :D

rad said:
Future proofing (a bit) Remember when folks said who needed more then 640Kb or RAM in a PC and 20MB harddrives would hold everything we ever needed? If we're going to start a new standard I'd rather go with the one that has the most capacity now then 5 or 10 years down the road wishing we had more capacity.

Too bad Blu-Ray won't be that disc...

vurbano said:
Lets face it. Once the "copying" begins. I want disks that will hold more than one HD movie. Why does everyone focus only on movies?

Typical stupid FUD. :rolleyes:

1. BD had problems and still has problems even with its dual-layer discs mfr'ing.

2. BD has a very thin protective layer, unlike DVD or HD-DVD: 0.6 vs 1mm - if you're so out to start writing your own collection this should be the most important thing for you. :rolleyes:

The data applications are enormous for Blu Ray. Entire 40-60 gig drive backed up to one Blu Ray disk maybe with some compression routine.? Incredible.
Terrabyte Blu ray servers made of Blu ray RW disks?

Indeed incredible - perhaps for you but not anybody who ever heard about tapes. I use a very old 80GB/tape DLT technology home and a litlle bit more modern 200/400GB/tape LTO2 tech at my work.

Even more typical ignorant crap...:rolleyes:

1. backup: this business is about price/gb and reliability. BD is nowhere near to those $30-40/ea tapes and currently SLOWER than an average LTO drive.

2. size: see above.

3. future: that's HVD, the Holographic Versatile Disc. Blu-Ray is pathetically behind it and has no chance to reach the holo storage: holo is dirt cheap unlike the EXTREMELY expensive BD, huuuuge (1TB was showcased already) and FAST.
If you'd read EETimes, you'd know it does mean something when a next-gen optical technology hits the cover page twice within months...

Last edited:
Why is everyone saying Blu-Ray is crap when they haven't tried it out for themselves yet? Seriously.. right now it looks very good, I don't know what problems you're talking about but Blu-Ray has more capacity, Tripple layer HD content and SD DVD content on one side (no flipping over the disc like HD-DVD), Better coating developed by TDK that handles scratches better during playback, and other stuff that people could care less about. HD-DVD looks really great too, its just that the current players look very unnacceptable.

I don't want to start any flame war, but just pointing out some facts. Can someone out there tell me some advantages HD-DVD has over Blu-Ray that aren't excuses like "Its cheaper. Its already out. It isn't backed by evil companies. Who needs more capacity when the picture can't get any better?"

I honestly don't prefer one over the other. I'm just pissed that half of the companies and studios chose one side and the other chose the other side.

At the end of the day, I really think I'm just going to get a Blu-Ray and HD DVD drive to rip my movies.. oh wait, nevermind. Doesn't look like you can copy much yet. :)

Anyway, check out the official Blu-Ray site FAQ http://www.blu-raydisc.com/Section-14064/faqs/4/Index.html

Its biased but its quite interesting :)

T2k said:
Umm the one that only necessary due to the fact that BD uses the old MPEG2?

LOL, really pathetic.

Your post would make some since if Mpeg2 was the only file type that can be written to a Blu ray disk.:rolleyes:

chrisw27 said:
Why is everyone saying Blu-Ray is crap when they haven't tried it out for themselves yet? Seriously.. right now it looks very good, I don't know what problems you're talking about but Blu-Ray has more capacity, Tripple layer HD content and SD DVD content on one side (no flipping over the disc like HD-DVD), Better coating developed by TDK that handles scratches better during playback, and other stuff that people could care less about. HD-DVD looks really great too, its just that the current players look very unnacceptable.

The reason is because A) half of this currently still vaporware (they don't even have dual layer BDR) or makes no difference B) Sony is a well-known liar and C) BDA repeatedly failed to meet their newer and newer deadlines.

You shouldn't believe everything those marketing folks are pushing down for you... ;).

I don't want to start any flame war, but just pointing out some facts.

These are not facts, merely marketing bullets.
Show me ONE COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE dual layer disc. Show me ONE TRIPLE LAYER disc. Show me ONE H.264 encoded disc.
Show me one hard-coated disc TDK was promising for *LAST* Summer.

Can someone out there tell me some advantages HD-DVD has over Blu-Ray that aren't excuses like "Its cheaper. Its already out. It isn't backed by evil companies. Who needs more capacity when the picture can't get any better?"

1. It's out.
2. It's cheaper.
3. It's more robust.
4. It's less restrictive (as of now, becuase we still didn't see anything out there from BDA.)

And no, I'm not a big fan of HD-DVD either - both BD and HD-DVD are temporary technologies, only the big guns wants you to swallow this first, together with this ridiculous DRM system, then slow down the pace to exploit all the money instead of admitting that HVD will be out within 2 years.

It's nothing but an organized crime rip-off scheme.

I honestly don't prefer one over the other. I'm just pissed that half of the companies and studios chose one side and the other chose the other side.

At the end of the day, I really think I'm just going to get a Blu-Ray and HD DVD drive to rip my movies.. oh wait, nevermind. Doesn't look like you can copy much yet. :)

Anyway, check out the official Blu-Ray site FAQ http://www.blu-raydisc.com/Section-14064/faqs/4/Index.html

Its biased but its quite interesting :)

It's rather funny to read the same or rewritten marketing you could read last Summer already. What happened since then? Nothing. :)

vurbano said:
Let me get this straight, So I am a low life loser? Another
"personal attack.:rolleyes:

Look who's talking:

vurbano said:
Given T2k's barrage of Blu ray trashing posts and Lance's rantings Im inclined to believe that they both spend their weekends mowing Bill Gate's lawn.

vurbano said:
Its only T2k and I think he has an agenda.

LOL... Face it: you can't challenge *any* of my - technical or simply news-invoking - argument. :devil:

EDIT speaking of agenda... http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=66231 - don't you think it's quite obvious who has agenda here?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts