Sony press conference

akodoreign

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Did they counter with anything?

Just Kidding. I'll give the kudos for 256 instanced game. (sorry missed that one in the blogs)

Link to Engadget Live blog:

Engadget & Joystiq live from Sony's E3 2008 keynote - Engadget

Nothing earth-shattering. The game at the end could be cool. God of War 3 was teased with a CGI trailer. Asked for patience on Home, again. LBP out in October. Biggest news to me was that 80GB model is loosing all PS2 BC and is dropping to the $400 price point.

Nintendo's presser was even worse. They really didn't have anything other than the new 1:1 motion add on for the remote and Animal Crossing Wii.

Microsoft clearly had the best E3 press conference this year.

EDIT: Other Sony bits I failed to mention: Store is finally getting movie and tv show rentals and purchases and the DC Universe game sounds pretty awesome concept-wise. Will have to wait to see how the gameplay is though.

Last edited:
One Last Comment

I think one thing Nintendo really has going for it this generation is that they haven't changed the Wii hardware. Ever. I've lost track of all the different 360 and ps3 SKUs and I think it's getting a little silly that MS and Sony keep insisting on putting out new configurations.

I think it breeds a lot of confusion with consumers and I'm sure it upsets those that purchase a system just before the new SKU is announced (and yes, I know there are some here who will answer that by saying "Just return it and get the new SKU". I don't think that's a valid arguement for the average consumer and for the geeks like us, it just creates a hassle that we resent.)

Anything on The Agency?

12:53: They're pumping smoke in here, either to confuse us or make this all seem like a dream. First mention of Killzone 2, which has been suspiciously absent so far. LittleBigPlanet, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, MGS4, Guns of the Patriots, Quantum of Solace, SOCOM Confrontation, Ghostbusters: The Video Game, Soul Calibur IV, Resistance 2, The Agency, Naruto Storm, Mirror's Edge, Resident Evil 5, Singstar, Guitar Hero World Tour, NBA09: The Inside, Buzz Quiz TV, Killzone 2

That's the only mention in the blog. There may be more info later today or later in the week. The companies usually just hit the highlights in the press conferences and then details emerge later.

I am a big Ps3 guy, and blu ray supporter.....this E3 has me scratching my head and making me wonder if it wouldnt be btter to just get a 360....They can do the same things Sony does, Faster and a little better...Dont get me wrong Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 will be amazing, but come on, Netflix on your 360? My wife and I would LOVE that.

I think it breeds a lot of confusion with consumers and I'm sure it upsets those that purchase a system just before the new SKU is announced (and yes, I know there are some here who will answer that by saying "Just return it and get the new SKU". I don't think that's a valid arguement for the average consumer and for the geeks like us, it just creates a hassle that we resent.)

I agree wholeheartedly, with all the different models. and with the xbox it seems every new sku adds something, where with the ps3 it loses something. I am so glad I got my 60gb when i did, full backwards capablity, wonder if this may bring up the prices of the old verisions on ebay for the 60gb???

Andy Beaudoin from Zipper interactive. MAG = Massive Action Game. Zipper building on their experience from SOCOM. Buh. 256-player battles. We certainly hope this handles voice chat well. "MAG will deliver a sweeping battle experience using only real players" 8-player squads. lead by people who are "proven" to be good leaders, character advancement tree to fine-tune your character.

This game sounds like its going to be huge.

Andy Beaudoin from Zipper interactive. MAG = Massive Action Game. Zipper building on their experience from SOCOM. Buh. 256-player battles. We certainly hope this handles voice chat well. "MAG will deliver a sweeping battle experience using only real players" 8-player squads. lead by people who are "proven" to be good leaders, character advancement tree to fine-tune your character.

This game sounds like its going to be huge.

Haze sounded like it was going to be huge as well. :D

Keep this in mind:

There also are no plans to have the games be different on Xbox 360 and PS3. Nothing has been decided for sure yet, but the team is looking at ways to compress the audio and pre-rendered cutscenes that take up a lot of data without affecting the quality when bringing the game from a blu-ray format to the DVDs that Xbox 360 reads.

I for one, not going to get the 360 version.
Ported version, more discs to change.....DVD LOLZ.
I am sure cosmetically we will see a difference in graphics between the two versions.
I am pretty sure which version will look the best.

Keep this in mind:

I for one, not going to get the 360 version.
Ported version, more discs to change.....DVD LOLZ.
I am sure cosmetically we will see a difference in graphics between the two versions.
I am pretty sure which version will look the best.

And we're pretty sure you're just making crap up, so move on, thanks.

PS3 LOLZ.

I am a big Ps3 guy, and blu ray supporter.....this E3 has me scratching my head and making me wonder if it wouldnt be btter to just get a 360....They can do the same things Sony does, Faster and a little better...Dont get me wrong Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 will be amazing, but come on, Netflix on your 360? My wife and I would LOVE that.

My PS3 as been totally relegated to playing Blu-ray discs and DVDs. Now that they have a movie store I'll probably rent some stuff from there as well.

I know I'm in the minority here but I think MGS4 sucked. The amount and length of cut scenes in that game is completely ridiculous. There is one point at the beginning where you are in a cut scene for like 20 minutes and you step out of it long enough to walk across a room and get in an elevator to only start another cut scene.

Thus far the only game I have played all the way through on the PS3 was ratchet and klank. Anything that is out for that and the 360 I play the 360 version for the achievements and better online play.

Penny - Arcade has a great comic depicting the 3 press conferences

Penny Arcade! - It's Just Like Being There

20080716.jpg

lol :D.
Now the middle dude looked like some mobster in Grand Theft Auto.

Biggest news to me was that 80GB model is loosing all PS2 BC and is dropping to the $400 price point.

What is the deal with Sony's on again, off again backwards compatibility on the PS3? I'm a little late to the game but still trying to decide between PS3 and Xbox 360. I definitely would want BC since I have many PS2 games and don't want to have a PS3 and a PS2 hooked up to my TV.

What is the deal with Sony's on again, off again backwards compatibility on the PS3? I'm a little late to the game but still trying to decide between PS3 and Xbox 360. I definitely would want BC since I have many PS2 games and don't want to have a PS3 and a PS2 hooked up to my TV.

They've since said backwards compatibility is completely going away. Once the MGS bundles are discontinued and replaced with these new 80GBs I am expecting it to be the only PS3 SKU on the market for the holiday season.

If you want backwards compatibility, now is the time to buy a PS3 or you'll have to buy one from a reseller/ebay/craigslist, or you'll have to buy/keep a PS2 hooked up.

They've since said backwards compatibility is completely going away. Once the MGS bundles are discontinued and replaced with these new 80GBs I am expecting it to be the only PS3 SKU on the market for the holiday season.

If you want backwards compatibility, now is the time to buy a PS3 or you'll have to buy one from a reseller/ebay/craigslist, or you'll have to buy/keep a PS2 hooked up.
I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info :up

I am assuming (perhaps mistakenly so) that the new 80GB model will include the dual shock controller? Still don't have a PS3, but do have a newer PS2 so BC isn't that important to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts