Sony SAS-BD3 Compatible with New Directv System?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

alex9

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2009
USA
I'm looking to buy a used satellite dish to hook up at my place. I just want to be sure that the dish will work with a directv account. The dish model is Sony SAS-BD3. I guess it being a Sony dish through me off cause I usually see plenty of RCA models.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Here is more info from the seller:

Sony digital satellite receiver & Dish antenna SAS-BD3 in original packaging

Comes with DirecTV access card
Satellite dish with dual-output LNB, Sony receiver & multi-function Sony remote

I think I've figured out everything is ok except that it's a round dish and if I get an oval one I can get feed from multiple satellites.
Cool forum

Doing a search it looks like that was a complete satellite system receiver and dish circa 2000. I wouldn't recommend it. That Sony dish used a special LNB that is no longer available and cannot be replaced by any other current Directv LNB it is only usable on the 101 satellite.

Thanks so much. I almost went and bought.
I'm looking at another one with two LNBs and it's oval in shape. Was I right about the oval one receiving more satellite feeds then the round ones?

Thanks so much. I almost went and bought.
I'm looking at another one with two LNBs and it's oval in shape. Was I right about the oval one receiving more satellite feeds then the round ones?

Likely the PhaseII setup that can have the added SAT-C kit to make it a PhaseIII type; also not fully recommended. I may have missed it, but if you are really wanting to get upgraded these are the best way to go.

Maybe get THIS

Last edited:
'THIS DISH' didn't work as a link :-/
Thank you for all your help.

What equipment do you have now? What are you trying to do?
Receiving more satellites does not necessarily help, you still need a subscription to receive programming. Generally the dish installed is matched to the programming subscription.

My main concern is I don't want to get stuck with a contract. I'm going to subscribe to the choice plan and find a dvr somewhere.

Lots of luck avoiding a contract. An HR21PRO will get you an owned HDDVR but I think any new customer is going to equate to a 24 month contract. Call Directv and see if what you want is even possible. DISH Network does have plans you can get without a contract.

I'm just going for standard definition stuff.
I read on another post that if you have directv installed at your home you can get an extra dish and hook it up at another location and set your second receiver up there as well. If I wanted to do something like that would I need to tell the installers so that they add the additional outputs so I can add receivers later? Or does it not matter?

My main concern is I don't want to get stuck with a contract. I'm going to subscribe to the choice plan and find a dvr somewhere.

You will have a contract as soon as you activate it , regardless ....

HD or DVR equipment = 24 month
Sd equipment = 12 maybe 18 month.
I don't remember anymore, it's been a long time since I did any SD stuff.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts