Sony To Drop Blu-Ray Player Pricing In September-Other Makers To Follow

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Sony To Drop Blu-Ray Player Pricing In September-Other Makers To Follow HDGURU.Com

According to an industry source citing an unconfirmed report in the trade publication, Consumer Electronics Daily, Sony will be dropping the price of its leader Blu-ray player (BDP-S350) by $100, bringing the retail price to $299 on Sept 28, 2008.
In addition, Sony’s step-up Blu-ray model the BDP-S550, will be delayed in the US till mid Oct. 08 and be introduced at $399, a reduction of $100 from its previously announced price.
The source (citing CE Daily) says another Blu-ray maker, Funai and its labeled brands (which include Philips/Magnavox, Sylvania and Insignia) will drop the retail price of their players $50 to $249 in late Sept. 08 as well.

Prob be able to get the Funai for under $200 on black friday.

Prices are dropping. BD30 can be had for 299 if you have a 1.3 receiver. BD50 might drop next month (if you can find one.)

Next year is looking real good for more people adopting on price. Now if the movies would come off a little. I just paid $28 for street kings :mad:

Not really any better than my local theater though. Costs me $23 for 2 matinee tickets, a small popcorn and drink :mad:

I figures BD players under $300 this Xmas, under $200 Xmas 2009. Looks like I might be a year too pessimistic.

Prices are dropping. BD30 can be had for 299 if you have a 1.3 receiver. BD50 might drop next month (if you can find one.)

Oh, I can find a BD50. Not that big of an issue. Just the price being $599 is a bit spendy...but, since it decodes the new audio formats internally, that'd save me the$1600 for a new AV receiver.

I suspect I will finally go purple on Black Friday. I am betting that this is the year for some deals, and not just the Funai.

Hoping you're right, in which case I'll be in line right behind you! Unless I can get that dealer that sold me the HT back in May to give me a decent break on a new Sony model, maybe the 550, sooner...!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts