Sony XBR55X900F and Dish Hopper 3

Falcon195

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 23, 2018
Ohio
I am looking at purchasing a Sony XBR55X900F that I will be running off of my Hopper 3. My question is how good should I expect the picture to be when the Sony will be up-scaling 1080i to 4K off my Hopper 3 ?
I understand the processors in the Sonys are pretty good at up-scaling 1080i to 4K. Anybody with any experience that can give me some feedback ?

Also I will be sitting about 9 feet from the TV and I am reading that a 55" TV might be too small for that distance.
But 55" is the biggest I can fit in the area where the TV is going. Any thoughts ?

I am looking at purchasing a Sony XBR55X900F that I will be running off of my Hopper 3. My question is how good should I expect the picture to be when the Sony will be up-scaling 1080i to 4K off my Hopper 3 ?
I understand the processors in the Sonys are pretty good at up-scaling 1080i to 4K. Anybody with any experience that can give me some feedback ?

Also I will be sitting about 9 feet from the TV and I am reading that a 55" TV might be too small for that distance.
But 55" is the biggest I can fit in the area where the TV is going. Any thoughts ?
I can't answer your first question, but FWIW, I have a 47" LG and I sit about 8-10' away and it's not an issue. 55" would be great at that distance, I'd think

Reactions: charlesrshell
My sister has the 55in 900E from last year with a Hopper 3. Their seating is about 11ft away. They probably could have got a 60in in the alcove above their fireplace but there were none available that they liked when they needed to purchase due to their old LG dying.

The picture is excellent. It is on the small side for viewing from that distance but that is about the only complaint they have.

I have a Sony XBR65X900E connected to my Family Room Hopper3 and it has an excellent picture from my Hopper3 receiver. I watched the Olympics in 4K HDR, normal 4K content from Dish on Demand, and Netflix 4K content from my Hopper3. The normal 1080i Dish content also looks great.
The main difference between the Sony model E and the model F is Dolby Vision. The model E will do HDR but will not do Dolby Vision.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I got this tv yesterday, same day I got dish installed. It was a warranty replacement from Sony from an 8 month E version. Picture looks great. Better than streaming did on the E. Xbox looks better too. Probably a combo of the better processor and more compatible hdr options. It rates high on rtings.com

I have a Sony 65 inch XBR TV connected to my Hopper 3 and all of the pictures look great, from 720P through 1080i and 1080P to 4K. I have had no complaints on the quality in the year that I've owned the TV. Netflix looks great through the Hopper.

Larry

I have Sony XBR-65X900F, connected to my LR HWS. It was installed last July. I am VERY happy with it.

The ONLY quirk is when I watch Hogan’s Heroes recorded on the MBR HWS. It squishes it slightly.

And my only regret was not buying the 75”.

image.jpg

I have Sony XBR-65X900F, connected to my LR HWS. It was installed last July. I am VERY happy with it.

The ONLY quirk is when I watch Hogan’s Heroes recorded on the MBR HWS. It squishes it slightly.

And my only regret was not buying the 75”.

When you watch Hogan's Hero's or pretty much anything from channel 247 set the picture format to stretch and the squish effect will go away. this is due to ME TV using an anamorphic lens which squishes horizontally while leaving the vertical alone.

I did get a 75" TV, and I kind of regret not getting the available 82".

Falcon195, For judging the size of TV to get, here is a well respected seating distance chart. The chart is based on what size pixels people with normal 20/20 vision can see. According to the chart, with a 55 inch TV, you have to sit less than 4 feet away to get the full benefit of 4K (be able to resolve all the resolution that is available), but you can still see the difference at 7 feet (still worth it). At distances over 7 feet, you won't see that much difference between 1080p and 4K.

In my own experience, once my new TV is at home for a couple of weeks, I always wish I had gotten a bigger one. Go bigger, you won't regret it!

Seating Distance.jpg

Falcon195, For judging the size of TV to get, here is a well respected seating distance chart. The chart is based on what size pixels people with normal 20/20 vision can see. According to the chart, with a 55 inch TV, you have to sit less than 4 feet away to get the full benefit of 4K (be able to resolve all the resolution that is available), but you can still see the difference at 7 feet (still worth it). At distances over 7 feet, you won't see that much difference between 1080p and 4K.

In my own experience, once my new TV is at home for a couple of weeks, I always wish I had gotten a bigger one. Go bigger, you won't regret it!

View attachment 136284

Looks like this just considers resolution and not HDR. HDR makes a big difference.

Looks like this just considers resolution and not HDR. HDR makes a big difference.
Yes, that chart is for seating distance vs resolution. In the original post, one question Falcon195 was asking about was the size of the TV. My post was attempting to help him make that decision. (I was not implying that he should buy a 1080p television).

Our XBR75X900E is OK as long as yer watching a good signal such as DISH-TV...But feed it something better then the Sony is much more enjoyable.
Yeah I am planning on getting a Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player

Reactions: LQQK

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)