Sony's 55-inch and 65-inch 4K LED TVs available April 21st for $4,999 and $6,999

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Not as bad as I expected on the pricing, wonder how they will perform in the flesh.

Sony was among the manufacturers showing off its 4K TVs at CES 2013, and the company has announced today that its 55-inch and 65-inch models are set to arrive in stores next month. The Bravia XBR-55X900A and XBR-65X900A will be priced at $4,999 and $6,999 respectively, and will become available April 21st.

Link

Then there is this:

Along with announcing pricing and a release date for its new 4K LED televisions, Sony has announced more details about its previously-unnamed 4K FMP-X1 media player at NAB 2013. The device looks like the same puck-like prototype that the company showed off at CES 2013, and will become available sometime this summer for $699. The FMP-X1 will be bundled with a bizarre assortment of 10 films, including Bad Teacher, Battle: Los Angeles, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Salt, 2010's The Karate Kid, Taxi Driver, That's My Boy, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Other Guys, and 2012's Total Recall. While that's not a thrilling bundle for the price, Sony will offer existing owners of its 84-inch XBR TV the chance to exchange their home servers for the FMP-X1 player.

Link

$4999 is not too bad for an early 4K TV set coming from Sony. Within reach for early adopters.

Sent from my iPhone5 using SatelliteGuys

As for that FMP-X1 device, it's essentially a 4k DVR with 10 preloaded movies. What is more important, it will be able to download movies from the on-line 4K distribution service Sony is launching this Fall.

Although $4999 is not an outrageous price for a new technology like this, I don't think 55" or even 65" will be enough to truly appreciate the 4K resolution. Personally, I am going to wait for some reasonably priced 4K projectors from Epson and others. On a 110" screen 4K should really come to life!

I think the pricing is great. Hell people were paying that for the Elite Sharp, which turned out to have unfixable color decoder issues. I just hope it performs well and doesnt land with a thud.

I wonder what the 32 and 42 inch models will be selling for or if you will tell much difference on the smaller screen sizes vs. the 1080p.

You would have to sit very close to the screen to tell the difference.
I think 32" 4K displays would make sense as computer monitors though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts