Soon to get the 622, 622 vs. 942

rangersjay99

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
Baltimore, MD
With everyone soon getting the Vip622, does anyone have a quick rundown of the Good and Bad of having the 622 over the 942 (with the exception of the MPEG4 of course)

Thanks everyone.

Jay

The 942 is significantly more stable at this time...that is the major dif...other than a few minor features and extra recording space (5 more HD hours on 622) they are preaty much the same.

Hopefully the 622 will be stable enough,

I can hear the wife now:

"We needed this $99 upgraded receiver, why?"

Especially if it acts up. The 942 has been great, I just want to get ready for the Baltimore HD locals and a few more HD channels.

The 942 wasn't always as stable as it is today. I think in time the 622 will be just as stable as the 942 and probably more so. And I think that if you are doing the lease it makes more sense to do the swap sooner rather than later. The improved search option on the 622 is nice. It breaks things down into genres. For instance you can tell it to search for movies, a specific genre, and hd. And if you like to record things to dvd most people find it is good to have the svideo out on the 622 rather than the composite on the 942. I swapped my 510 for a 622 in Feb and kept my 942. Now that Dish is granting the 200 rebate for 2nd recievers I am in line for a second 622.

one thing i noticed different that i may find annoying was if you press dvr on the remote, on the 942 you get the recordings you have made. On the 622 you get a screen that allows you to select my recordings, it basically has added an extra step.
This is based on 20 mins pre install work, install tomorrow Yeah !, but one thing i quickly noticed.

So far most of the stability problems reported have been with the HDMI ports. There have been some sound issues as well, but overall I have been very happy with my 622. :)

gbjbany said:
one thing i noticed different that i may find annoying was if you press dvr on the remote, on the 942 you get the recordings you have made. On the 622 you get a screen that allows you to select my recordings, it basically has added an extra step.
This is based on 20 mins pre install work, install tomorrow Yeah !, but one thing i quickly noticed.

I also don't like this extra step to my recordings. I thought if I locked it and hide PPV it would go away, but that don't seem to work either.

I didn't realize the 622 had a S-video output. This will be alot better for archiving the tons of stuff the kids like to watch 1000 times, and if I even think of deleting any, watch out! :)

MRUSS said:
I also don't like this extra step to my recordings. I thought if I locked it and hide PPV it would go away, but that don't seem to work either.
Hey! Push the button twice, GET SOME EXERCISE!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)