Sorry, but I can only see H/J failure in the future...

Let me get this straight. You don't see PTAT being a selling point to customers because you don't care for the networks and reality shows? I'm betting there are millions of people that feel different about that. I'll bet there are at least 10 shows between my wife and I that we like to watch that are on the networks. There are a lot more shows that I like to record at those same times. Sure is nice to know that on some nights I'll have two programs being recorded on just one tuner so I now have two extra tuners to work with.

Obviously this system won't work for everyone but I feel Dish made it so it can fit most people's needs.

maybe, but 6 tuners would have been better

It's been stated in many of the H-J threads that you can turn off PTAT, which is recorded on a separate area of storage. You will have half for what you record, and the PTAT records on the other half, with no way to change that, so you're not losing your storage space for PTAT.

If they dont give you the storage space to begin with then you are not losing and storage space.

Every DISH DVR has always had a good chunk of the hard drive reserved for DISH's use. The Hopper is no different.

If they dont give you the storage space to begin with then you are not losing and storage space.

Every DISH DVR has always had a good chunk of the hard drive reserved for DISH's use. The Hopper is no different.

I honestly do not understand the complaints about the hard drive space. I wish Dish never told people that they use a portion of it. It's not like they are taking it away. You never had access to it.

I personally think the lack of OTA support is a big thing. I want to go with the Hopper but am not willing to give up my locals in HD. Accordingly, I'll hold off until the OTA support becomes available.

I honestly do not understand the complaints about the hard drive space. I wish Dish never told people that they use a portion of it. It's not like they are taking it away. You never had access to it.

The Hooper has the same amount of recording space for the user as the 922. :)

Even the origional DISH Player had space reserved for DISH's use, so this is nothing new.

And so, what, it will fail because you won't get it? You've posted that what, about 40 times? We get it, someone with a 722K feeding two TV's, one in SD will pay $11 more to watch two TV's in HD with all the features of the Hopper......... But many others with different set-ups will pay little more or even less.
Just correcting/elaborating what the other person said. :)

Most of my neighbors are Dish or Direct TV customers. We do not have cable in our rural area. I have had the opportunity to talk to 10-15 Dish customers and 5-10 Directv customers about the Hopper/Joey. All the Dish customers said I will not change if it is going to cost more. The $100 istallation fee was a big killer. Any additional equipment fees were a killer if they could understand them. Many of the Dish customers are still using non HD receivers connected to their HDTVs in stretch mode. Me and 1 other use OTA. Most are just happy to be able to get tv, period. The Directv customers are similar. Not one of them has the 5 tuner receiver or whole home TV, nor expect to get it in the future. They too are just happy to get TV. We build 3-4 new homes a year and those would be the only potential for the Hopper/Joey. Of all these folks only 1 uses sling technology. I asked them what their kids watch and the basic answer was "not much". The kids are twittering , playing games, or watching online video. The kids would definately not want to watch anything their parents could see what they were doing. Now most of the kids have their own recevier in their rooms. Does't look good for the future of TV in America.

All the Dish customers said I will not change if it is going to cost more. The $100 istallation fee was a big killer. Any additional equipment fees were a killer if they could understand them. Many of the Dish customers are still using non HD receivers connected to their HDTVs in stretch mode. Me and 1 other use OTA. Most are just happy to be able to get tv, period.

I think too much attention has been made here about whether current customers upgrade or not. I doubt Dish really cares whether or not an existing customer upgrades. They need the upgrade pricing not to be so high it drives a customer to D* if they want whole a home solution, but beyond that they'd probably prefer customers keep payng as is without needing additional investment.

Hopper's focus will be on new accounts and new installs.

A hundred dollars really doesn't seem like a high price for what all you will be getting for it. I'm a technician and I hear these complaints all the time. My god what can you even get for a hundred dollars these days?

A hundred dollars really doesn't seem like a high price for what all you will be getting for it. I'm a technician and I hear these complaints all the time. My god what can you even get for a hundred dollars these days?

If $5/gallon gas comes to be... A tank of gas and maybe enough left over for lunch.

For the complainers about the upgrade cost, remeber it wasn't long ago that it was a $100 for a 622 or 722. I think everyone is really getting spoiled with all the free offers that are out there. This really isn't out of line and seem just like any other time new equipment comes out.

I paid $200 upgrade for each of my lease 622s as an A customer when they first came out. Will be happy to get Hoppers for $100.

Exactly. I mean when you actually think about it, it cost a lot of money for us to install a system. Between paying me to do the job, price of wire, connectors, ground block, misc parts, gas to get to the customers house and the actual cost of the hopper itself, your well over a couple hundred bucks now.

For the complainers about the upgrade cost, remeber it wasn't long ago that it was a $100 for a 622 or 722. I think everyone is really getting spoiled with all the free offers that are out there. This really isn't out of line and seem just like any other time new equipment comes out.

Dish is adding a $4 whole home fee and a $7 additional outlet fee on even the second outlet. That could raise fees by as much as $11 a month to add one TV for certain households that are getting that outlet free now.

So, yeah adding more upfront costs on top of the added lease fees seems excessive to me.

It's nice that you guys don't mind Dish raising fees endlessly, but some of us don't agree and have valid feedback for the company.

You ignore the added functionality and the fact that it is optional. Happy with what you've got, keep what you've got.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts