222K TV2 UHF remote behavior

jussi

Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
I recently upgraded from a 4000 and a 4900 receiver to 222k and a 211K receivers. The 222k was connected to a Olevia TV for tuner 1 and tuner 2 was connected to a remote tv in a bedroom. Tuner 1 worked great with the Olevia TV. Tuner 2 could not be controlled from the bedroom via the UHF remote if the Olevia TV connected to tuner 1 was turned on. The UHF controller for the bedroom TV would only work if the Olevia conneced to Tuner one was turned off. I tried to explain this to the Dish support people via telephone but they did not seem capable of grasping the problem. Does any body have a clue as to what the problem is? I could control Tuner 2 via IR signals when I stood in front of the 222K receiver but that defeats the whole purpose of the UHF remote.
I did try moving the remote antenna further from the Olevia TV but the results were the same. UHF remote only worked if the Olevia TV was turned off.
The 211k Receiver works just great

Last edited:
It sounds like your Olevia TV has a UHF leakage problem. The chasis of the TV is allowing a UHF frequency to escape and the 222 is receiving that signal and drowning the remote signal. Aluminum foil around back of TV?

Is the reciever in dual mode or single mode? That is the only thing I could think of other than a problem with the reciever itself. I did not think tuner 2 could do ir without the new rf/ir convertor. So that is why I am asking about which mode it is in.

The 222K receiver was in dual mode. The IR commands from remote #2 were capable of controlling Tuner 2 when I stood in front of the 222k receiver.

JUSSI

I too am having the same issue with my Samsung un55b7100wf...I have tried nearly everything (other than the foil..lol) and nothing seems to work for me either (I personally have connected the uhf antenna to an 6ft coax and sometimes it works BUT STILL NOT WITH TV 1 ON) ..It seems either adding another receiver, which only seems to be to dish networks advantage, is our only option. If you find anything to fix PLEASE let me know 2

This does sound like when the TV1 is on the TV itself is interfering with the UHF remote from TV2, since everything works fine when TV1 is off. You said you moved the antenna, did you run a Pigtail, a length of coax attached to the TV antenna port of receiver and then with a barrel connector on the other end attach the remote antenna, extending the antenna several feet away from the TV. This would be the best option for you since you have the same TV at TV2. If you need any assistance with this, please feel free to PM me.

I just realized that this is a "bump" thread from 2009! txturtle333, I would be happy to help so please PM me. Thank you!

Last edited:
Mary It sounds like they need to change the freq... If they change it to #8 That should be a B freq and should be able to work.. Go in front of the TV1 with booth remotes.. With remote number 1 hit Menu twice.. Then with the number 2 remote. press and hold the sat button on the top until all the lights flash on.. Then press number 8 then the # sign.. The sat button will flash 3 times.. Then hit the record button.. You should be able to see the remote address for number 2 change to 8.. Get the the number 1 remote and cancel back to reg screen and try that out..

I would try relocating the antenna from tv1 to the tv2 location. This can be done with 2 splitters and 3 small pieces of coax.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I would try relocating the antenna from tv1 to the tv2 location. This can be done with 2 splitters and 3 small pieces of coax.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

That will work.. But it is better to try all other options first.. That is a last resort.. Tv2 picture quality is greatly reduces.. Yes it is SD. but it is still far less..

That will work.. But it is better to try all other options first.. That is a last resort.. Tv2 picture quality is greatly reduces.. Yes it is SD. but it is still far less..

I disagree, use good quality Holland splitters at work and picture quality is not affected at all. Maybe using cheap Rat Shack or Home Depot splitters, yeah! Good quality equipment means very little to no pic loss.

So, did this resolve the issue? I know someone that has a 222 that is having issues as well on TV2.

Which remote addresses are Band A and which are Band B? What remotes will and will not work with TV2 on a 222 receiver?

I have the same setup 222k that is connected to a 42' Olevia TV for tuner 1 and tuner 2 is connected to a Toshiba in a bedroom.
For TV2 i am using a 322 UHF remote , the 322 TV2 remote work the best they are a lot stronger then the new original 222k TV2 remotes.

One can also try a small semi-directional UHF antenna pointed at the bedroom. Something like TERK or C1 if changing of the remote UHF frequency doesn't help.

I must disagree. It is the most efficient method and does NOT affect PQ. I've done it.

I disagree, use good quality Holland splitters at work and picture quality is not affected at all. Maybe using cheap Rat Shack or Home Depot splitters, yeah! Good quality equipment means very little to no pic loss.
I don't know what type of technician you are but a 2 way splitter introduces 3.5dB of signal loss 2 of them is 7dB of loss or less than 1/4th the original signal getting to the TV, that has to affect the picture quality. If I had to choose between Jimmerinwi and gokartergo I would choose gokartergo as knowing more about his job. Holland is just a brand name possibly made in the same Chineese factory as Radio Shack.

I wonder if the receiver could be the problem. We have a 722 and 2 Olevia TVs and do not have any pro lens with the UHF remote

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

The 222 receiver that I am having issues with indicates UHF Pro Band A for tuner 2 and I am using a 322 UHF remote for TV2. It does not even seem to act right in the same room as the receiver. It was on address 3 and I changed it to 15 which seemed to have helped.

When it was on address 3 it done some weird things like pressing the channel up or down button both changed the channels down or pressing the guide button also changed the channel. Address 15 seemed to function more appropriately but still has extremely limited range.

OK, how far apart are the the 2 tv's? If there is a kitchen in between or a utility room then you may also be getting interference from the appliances. Do the splitter trick, it's the bes solution and I would use Holland splitters. The picture quality will only be effected it the overall distance is greater than 60 ft or being fed to multiple tv 2's.

I don't know what type of technician you are but a 2 way splitter introduces 3.5dB of signal loss 2 of them is 7dB of loss or less than 1/4th the original signal getting to the TV, that has to affect the picture quality. If I had to choose between Jimmerinwi and gokartergo I would choose gokartergo as knowing more about his job. Holland is just a brand name possibly made in the same Chineese factory as Radio Shack.
I am a Dish tech and unless your running into a flat screen (which looks like crap anyway), to me on a tube TV, there is no difference in PQ. Maybe to an expert like you it makes a difference. They likely do come from China, but they look a lot better than most I've seen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)