Sorry, but I can only see H/J failure in the future...

MikeD-C05 said:
I'm not bashing ,just stating my opinion Mr. DISH pom pom waiver. I will suggest to you to do the same thing I will now do to your posts. HIT IGNORE if you don't want to read them. It is very simple and you can control it your self.:cool:

You see, this is where you get childish. Someone disagrees with you, call them names in a personal attack. Do you really think that helps your cause?

I really mean it. Chill. Calm down. It isn't worth getting so worked up over. You'll be happier.

You see, this is where you get childish. Someone disagrees with you, call them names in a personal attack. Do you really think that helps your cause?

I really mean it. Chill. Calm down. It isn't worth getting so worked up over. You'll be happier.

I don't really know who you think you are , but I am not going to take flak from you over what I post. You can be as condescending and patronizing as you want to be. I am simply posting my thoughts on why I see this hopper not being the solution to DISH's sub growth for various reasons. If you want to talk about how great it is, then go for it. I 'm not trying to stop you are change your opinions ,one way or another. You do not moderate this board, nor or you in charge of me and my opinions. So take a bit of your own advice and chill out and mind your own business. You'll be much happier when you realize in life , you can't change others and what they think , but you can change your reaction to them.

I will now change my reaction to you and place you on Permanent IGNORE .:coffee

Expressing one's opinion is one thing. Doing so at every slight opportunity, and with vitriol and name calling, is another.

Perhaps we should have another war zone, where the more intemperate posts can go, and which is easily avoided.

MikeD-C05 said:
FEES do add up and DISH has been charging their outrageous additional Fees of $ 7.00- $17.00 for the last two years (Feb 2010). They also have only added subs for two quaters out of 8 total. That should tell DISH something right there. IF people aren't coming to your company you need to do something to make it more attractive: Cut out or down some of your fees. The hopper /Joey system would of been the perfect time to show the public that they understood the past defections and lack of sub additions and gave the first joey for free or just for $4.00 ,instead of charging a multi-view fee. That one thing would of made subs upgrade like crazy and would of attracted new subs too. But DISH ,once again has put short term Revenue and profits over long term growth and more subs.

Well If you compare Dish to directv, U-verse, Comcast or Fios they all charge you for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th tv if you want Tvs in those rooms. If you think that's bad Comcast is charging my mil 10 bucks for the hd fee and they don't have hd boxes but Comcast claims they are hd ready. They all charge the whole home DVr fee and additional receiver fees. Sure they could give customers the Joey free but then you would have customers crying they want all joeys to be free. I'm sure dish could not charge extra for any amount of joeys but then they would raise prices on their tv packages and customers would complain about that. If hopper will be the same price as a Joey then eventually I'll get a 2nd hopper because then I can record 6 shows at a time excluding the Ptat feature. Out of all companies Comcast is the worst when it comes to fees.

Well If you compare Dish to directv, U-verse, Comcast or Fios they all charge you for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th tv if you want Tvs in those rooms. If you think that's bad Comcast is charging my mil 10 bucks for the hd fee and they don't have hd boxes but Comcast claims they are hd ready. They all charge the whole home DVr fee and additional receiver fees. Sure they could give customers the Joey free but then you would have customers crying they want all joeys to be free. I'm sure dish could not charge extra for any amount of joeys but then they would raise prices on their tv packages and customers would complain about that. If hopper will be the same price as a Joey then eventually I'll get a 2nd hopper because then I can record 6 shows at a time excluding the Ptat feature. Out of all companies Comcast is the worst when it comes to fees.

You are looking at it from a practical standpoint. Some are just assuming Dish can afford to give away the fee for a second HD location because they are just greedy and making too much money now. Some of these people will scream bloody murder when Dish raises their rates, the posts of "time to look around" or "Direct looks much better" will litter the threads even if Dish had given the second HD TV free. Another words there is no pleasing them. Even now, look at the complaints about stuff we get free.
Now that does not apply to everyone. When you take it from a personal situation standpoint, I can't overlook that for some who now get two TV's with one receiver (yes, one TV in SD) they would now pay $11 more a month to still get two TV's (yes both now HD) with possibly no more tuners until the OTA module comes out. I can only say in most anything some make out better than others and luckily no is making us get the Hopper system to subscribe to Dish. Someone like myself with two DVR's won't pay much more at all with alot of new functions added if I went to a hopper system. Why would Dish spend all the money on the technology and producing the units to now charge me less for what I presently have?
There are obstacles with the Hopper such as no OTA at release, question of allowing two Hoppers and will they be integrated...... but I'm not undertanding the outcry of dish continuing to charge for a second HD TV just as they do now.

Another way to look at it, why should someone who only wants one receiver, pay for you or I wanting two, by Dish raising the package rates instead of keeping the fee they now get for a second HD location. The only argument to that is to say Dish should not raise anything and give me free......

Last edited:
Another way to look at it, why should someone who only wants one receiver, pay for you or I wanting two, by Dish raising the package rates instead of keeping the fee they now get for a second HD location. The only argument to that is to say Dish should not raise anything and give me free......
these joeys cost peanuts for dish and they get them back for many more years of reuse after someone cancels. The Joeys don't have any hard drives or tuners. They are going to have a ridiculously long lifespan with minimal long term support costs compared to a traditional receiver.

IMO, dish could easily swing it without adding to their costs. The only reason they're charging for the first joey is because they can....

Also, i would be hesitant to call this an outcry or outrage... it's feedback for Dish that's generally being presented in a polite way. Let's not let one or two members cast a negative light on the whole group of people who are fairly reasonable.

Last edited:
these joeys cost peanuts for dish and they get them back for many more years of reuse after someone cancels. The Joeys don't have any hard drives or tuners. They are going to have a ridiculously long lifespan with minimal long term support costs compared to a traditional receiver.

IMO, dish could easily swing it without adding to their costs. The only reason they're charging for the first joey is because they can....
As you say, you're opinion. Perhaps if you were in charge of the company you would have a very different opinion though.

Also, i would be hesitant to call this an outcry or outrage... it's feedback for Dish that's generally being presented in a polite way. Let's not let one or two members cast a negative light on the whole group of people who are fairly reasonable.

That's a fair statement.

Okay, now build 100,000 of them, pay for the dev costs, licenses for the technology, the hardware itself, training and marketing before you see the first dollar in fees.

It's not peanuts, but they will take a while to recoup their costs

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Okay, now build 100,000 of them, pay for the dev costs, licenses for the technology, the hardware itself, training and marketing before you see the first dollar in fees.

+1.

And they have dev costs, training, and marketing with the existing dual tuners and they were still able to throw the second room in for free.

The joey cost is low. Dish is able to sell it outright for $99 for you to own and i very much doubt they're subsidizing anything. It's probably a marked up price from their true cost.

And in most cases the Joey will be leased.... so recouping the cost of some very basic low maintenance box that they can re-lease without any effort won't cost them all that much.

IMO, the benefits of giving the first joey free still outweigh the very minimal costs.

Last edited:
NEWS BULLITEN: THIS JUST IN. THE FESTERING CIVIL WAR OVER THE FREE FIRST JOEY CONTINUES ON A MASSIVE SCALE. THE GOVERNOR HAS CALLED IN THE ARMY RESERVE TO TRY TO QUELL THE NEAR RIOT-IS CROWD. HOWEVER, THE COMMANDER IN CHARGE ASKED WHY SUCH DRASTIC ACTION WAS BEING TAKEN ON SIX PEOPLE. THE WORLD AWAITS. NEWS AT ELEVEN.

"...Dish is able to sell it outright for $99..."

I believe the published price is now $149.

And- too bad I'll be in bed by eleven. ;)

sparc,

my guess for the fully amortized cost of the joeys is going to come out to give or take 105 dollars. thats 15 months of fees to get back the cost. the hoppers (you need at least one) are going to be 200+ with current 2tb drive costs. that's 10 to 20 months depending on which hopper it is.

my guess for dish's cost to launch is around 15 million. up front before revenue dollar number one.

Yes DISH is cheaper than the others on their version of Whole house dvr, but that doesn't mean that they will be successful in getting new subs just because they are the least HIGHEST of all. This was a golden opportunity to attract new subs and retain older subs for years. DISH just found a way to charge you for the HD pack all over again. They went a year or so ago and had the "FREE HD For LIFE" campaign. Many were automatically signed up and it looked like DISH was moving from making hd a premium price and making it the norm, and no longer charging you the extra $10.00 a month for hd. Then they charge you $7.00 for the first Joey + $4.00 MVF=$11.00. They just found a way to add the HD pack price back into your monthly bill + an extra $1.00 to boot. They could of just charged you the $4.00 price for the first Joey and then $7.00 for each additional Joey , and it would of been fairer for everyone. The extra $7.00 fee will be what stops them from adding more subs. Paying an extra $11.00 just to see hd in another room is ridiculous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)