Sound loss

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shodobe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NorCal
I just figured out my OTA channels and they are great except for two/ One I get a perfect picture but no sound. The other is one channel that has only the yellow screen saying it is obtaining signal but no signal. All of my other HD OTA channels come through with no problem. Just these two. I am in the Sacramento/Stockton DMA and the two problem channels are KOVR, nothing at all, and KMAX31(UPN), great picture no sound though. It has to be something simple but I can't figure it out. Oh by the way my signal strenghth on KOVR is in the 80s. Thanks

Your KVOR problem sounds like classical multi-path, good signal no picture.

The other one may be a problem at the station. Have you contacted then?

Jim5506 said:
Your KVOR problem sounds like classical multi-path, good signal no picture.

The other one may be a problem at the station. Have you contacted then?

I haven't contacted the station yet on KOVR, no signal. The other is KMAX with great picture and no sound. What do you mean by multi-path? I haven't really taken the time to really adjust my antenna because I really didn't use it and can't believe the almost perfect pictures I am getting from almost 40 miles away! The antenna I have is over 10 years old and if I am getting this good of pictures with an out-dated one I am definitely going to look for a better one with a booster. Thanks

Multi-path is the digital equivalent of ghosting.

The antenna is receiving the same signal from more than one direction (reflections off buildings, mountains, etc. (they arrive at the antenna at slightly different times and are therefore out of phase).

If it is bad enough, the digital receiver is unable to lock onto the correct signal, or any signal for that matter. Thus you see good signal strength, but get no picture or sound.

The problem of picture but no sound may be the stations problem, call them to check it out. Do you know of anyone else in the neighborhood who has a similar problem with that station?

Hi,

You might try adjusting your antenna. KOVR had a slight problem last night, but it didn't lose picture just sound for a while. Otherwise it has been running strong. It actually has one of the strongest signals in the area.

KOVR and KMAX are sister stations both owned by Viacom and share the same tower. The towers are located between Sacramento and Stockton.

Thanks, when I get home next week i will try adjusting the antenna a bit more. The other day I was just trying to keep the wind from taking it down. I really can't believe how good of a picture I can get from so far away. The HD is unbelievable and this is from an antenna that has to be over 10 years old without any booster! My UPS guy spent quite awhile with me the other night explaining all of the nicities of my system. He does a very rural route so his time isn't important. I subscribe to locals and will probably get rid of them later after I tweak out my OTA stations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts