Any suggestions on a low-loss splitter?

MrBurnsExcellent.png~c200.png

I use this one, and it's outstanding: Amazon product ASIN B001EKCGT8
Note: If you can't see the link from Amazon I've posted above, temp disable your ad blocker, and do a refresh...

How is it passive if it’s amplifying the signal on all 4 legs? Won’t this just have the same effect as the VH240R?

It's "passive return" as opposed to an active return amp.
It's active on the FORWARD. Amplifies the signals travaling from the "input" port to the output ports +8 db
For signals going from the "output" ports back to the input port it act's like a passive 4way splitter.

5-42Mhz is Return
54+ is Forward.
This stuff comes in to play when you use these amps on a CATV system with stuff that talks both ways like cable modems and Digital STB's.
You don't want an active return amp on an OTA antenna system. You want a passive return amp like the one linked.
If an amp lists these specs then its a good chance its a quality amp.

It's "passive return" as opposed to an active return amp.
It's active on the FORWARD. Amplifies the signals travaling from the "input" port to the output ports +8 db
For signals going from the "output" ports back to the input port it act's like a passive 4way splitter.

5-42Mhz is Return
54+ is Forward.
This stuff comes in to play when you use these amps on a CATV system with stuff that talks both ways like cable modems and Digital STB's.
You don't want an active return amp on an OTA antenna system. You want a passive return amp like the one linked.
If an amp lists these specs then its a good chance its a quality amp.

From recent experience in 2 different OTA environments, distribution amps do nothing but reduce signal quality and amplify noise *when a preamp is already in the mix.* In those scenarios, I’ve stopped using distro amps completely. If I had a very long coax run it might be needed, but to simply split a signal 3 or 4 ways it is not. Again, just speaking from my personal experience with this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironmagz
From recent experience in 2 different OTA environments, distribution amps do nothing but reduce signal quality and amplify noise *when a preamp is already in the mix.* I’ve stopped using distro amps completely. If I had a very long coax run it might be needed, but to simply split a signal 3 or 4 ways it is not. Again, just speaking from my personal experience with this.
Yes with amps more is not always better.
Yes I wouldn't use one if I was only splitting for 4 outlet or less with short runs.
-7 loss from a single 4 way splitter is nothing when your pre-amp is +22.

I would use a distro amp to cancel out the passive losses in a bigger system.
So a +8amp if I was feeding 4way splitters.
+8(amp) - 7(splitters) - (connectors and cables) = 0ish.
Things get bad if you have a strong local signal that gets in to the system. Something like a FM radio station or 700/800mhz LTE. Or you live near a TV station.
The amp's might not have done any harm to the weaker stations but the strong local signals get in and kicked up by the pre-amp and you end up overloading the disto amp and/or TV set's.

I was running a duel antenna system with a pre-amp feeding a distro amp that feeds 3 tv's and 4 FM/hd radios. 2 of the outlets are in a detached garage. Things where great until they recently turned up 700mhz LTE. Now I got problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts