Sound lower on HD channels

moonwolf22

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Does anyone have to turn up their TV a couple three notches when switching to a HD channel? I own a 811 and 722. I have the "old HD" package that is not available anymore. Got to keep it when I added the 722 because it was tied to the 811. I've had this audio problem ever since the 811, and thought that the new 722 might some how be different, being a newer model. I've played with all audio settings on my Panasonic HD TV, to no avail. I have the same problem whether I use the TV speakers or turn on my tuner.

Most likely it's because the HD channels you are watching are in Dolby Digital. Dolby Digital has much wider dynamic range than other the other sources you are used to. In order to hear the lower volumes such as voices, especially whispers, the volume needs to be turned up. Of course the really loud sounds will be really loud, like in a movie theater.
I bet if you tune to an HD channel that is not broadcasting a program in Dolby Digital 5.1 you won't have to turn up the volume.
You can notice this quite easily if you are tuned to a network broadcast that is in DD5.1 and commercial comes on that is not in DD 5.1. The volume will be very loud during the commercial.
This is not a problem with your receiver, it is the function of DD 5.1.

Horseshoe

HDMI connection

I had the same issue when using an HDMI connection. Once I went back to component the issue went away. I have a new LCD and I think the picture is better with component anyway.

Cherk, How is your sound hooked up? What is your sound connection hooked into? The HDMI connection carries the sound and video. Components only carry video. I am willing to bet your sound is hooked up with red/white rca connections. This sound connection is simply stereo and will not carry the Digital Surround sound that HD provides. However, if your just hooking the sound into your tv, its probably a non-issue since tv's do not have a surround sound setup.

If it really bothers you, you can try switching Dolby Digital to "RF Mode" which I believe compresses the dynamic range. Otherwise leave it on Line Mode and just do what I do and accept it's inevitability I guess.

Dd 5.1

Does anyone have to turn up their TV a couple three notches when switching to a HD channel? I own a 811 and 722. I have the "old HD" package that is not available anymore. Got to keep it when I added the 722 because it was tied to the 811. I've had this audio problem ever since the 811, and thought that the new 722 might some how be different, being a newer model. I've played with all audio settings on my Panasonic HD TV, to no avail. I have the same problem whether I use the TV speakers or turn on my tuner.

Yes he is correct as it is being broadcast in DD 5.1 you will need to invest in at least a 300 to 400 watt system with at least 20 watt rear speakrs to really enjoy the sound w/o cranking it up way louder

With HDMI

I have it only hooked up with HDMI. My surround sound amp has optical connections for when I want it loud. Now with component there is no diff. with HD and SD. Go figure.

I am confused, do you have your sound hooked up with HDMI and video with component? And that you use your surround sound when you "want it loud" Still, doesn't make any sense to me...but I'll take your word for it.

Get that fiber optical cable from the HD to your surround sound along with an HDMI connection and every channel sounds like the movie theater. I thought my rear ss speakers were not ver good until HDMI and Optical.

My old cable box had an audio compression setting which limited the audio dynamic range, a setting that the vip 622 does not have. My Sony TV has a setting called "Steady Sound®" that has a feature that automatically prevents unwanted blasts of sound that can occur during commercial breaks or different channels.

I found a simple solution to this, since it bugs the hell out of me. I run the sound from my receiver to my tv AND my surround sound system. I then set the volume up on the tv just high enough to supplement to the lower volume moments the dolby produces. That way I don't have to turn my 600 watt dolby system up so high that a street scene wakes the neighborhood. The tv speakers also provide a decent amount of fullness to complement those quiet times without affecting the louder action scenes.

My issue is with just using HDMI. When I do the HD is much lower all together than SD. When I changed to component the issue went away.

My issue is with just using HDMI. When I do the HD is much lower all together than SD. When I changed to component the issue went away.
Because now you do not have Digital 5.1, just stereo surround.

I know there were more recent threads on this topic, but this one popped up.

Even with L613 I had this issue. I level matched my center with my mains, and the problem went away. :eek:

One thing not mentioned yet is to add some compression using the "night" mode if your receiver or TV has it. Might be what the "Steady Sound" mentioned above is all about. This reduces the dynamic range substantially and will even things out a good bit. (It raises the volume of the quiet material closer to the level of the loud stuff so you can use a lower overall volume setting and not miss anything.) This is perhaps desirable for many programs. But when you're watching movies or music videos (especially on commercial-free channels) or DVDs, I think you'll want to "open it up" to enjoy what the audio was meant to do...!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)