Sound Quality of DishNetwork Music Channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

smata67

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2005
On 119? I am using a Coolsat 4000 Pro and am using up my outputs so I have not been able to connect it to my receiver. Has anyone every upgraded from analog to the optical out and can comment on the improvement?

Easy on the citizen's arrest there Gomer.. :) more than enough radio is ITC for the question to be legit.

And yes I think the use of the digital out makes for better sound quality.

if want to know how the sound quality is, then SUBSCRIBE TO DISHNETWORK!!!!!

I'm using the coaxial output into my DD receiver for the free audio on 119.

The sound seems decent (no better or worse than the XM radio in my car) and the lack of commercials is a bonus. :)

I guess I need a switch so I can multiply the single digital coax input on my receiver. Wonder if a plain old RCA multi A/V switch would work or if there are special switches for digital coax. The Coolsat 4000 pro appears to have a digital coax output only.

The one thing I have noticed about the audio is that some of the channels are only in mono, other than that they have decent full range sound, not quite CD quality but still pretty good. Definitely better than my Sirius.

Oh, and I'm using the optical output from my Pansat 3500.....haven't really tried the analog outputs to compare. My guess is that the sound would depend on the quality of the D/A converter in your audio gear.

Last edited:
the channels up to 949 (I think they start at 925) are mono only. Businesses use those channels since they have speakers spread out (like restaurants)

the channels up to 949 (I think they start at 925) are mono only. Businesses use those channels since they have speakers spread out (like restaurants)

That's good to know. I'll probably do a digital coax/analog connection comparison this weekend, will post back on the results.

I'm guessing for the mono channels it's more a chance to save precious transponder space 'cause for the restaurants and business' you could sum the left and right stereo signals thru 70V transformers and send it out evenly as a mono signal if ya wanted to. You're right, the restaurants don't need a stereo signal but I think the reason is to save space on the tps. Would be nice for the rest of us if they were all stereo............well that's my humble opinion.

IF I remember correctly, on a subbed box it says in the info box "(mono)" on those channels

I just looked on my ViP211 and it doesn't say in the guide or on the info screen. The channel names do differentiate: mono stations are AUD01-19 (923-946) while stereo stations are CD 1-32 (950-981).

Here's a new post about the stations.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=81571

Last edited:
I finally got my cables from www.monoprice.com (best cable supplier in the world!) and hooked up my CS 4000 Pro to Onkyo DD receiver thru the coax digital. I can't believe how good this sounds, I should have done it years ago. Sounds much better than my Cox cable box which I had hooked up through the optical connection.

This doesn't apply to the CS, it only has coax, but if anyone needs to multiply their optical inputs, monoprice has a 3 way switch for $8 that works great. My dinky receiver only had 1 optical. Problem solved.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)