Sounds of childhood summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
I was at work saturday doing the mindlessly repetitive work that I do pulling product to send to company stores, boring work really so I can pretty much set myself onto an autopilot deal and just move along. There really isnt much to where I work at other than a smooth concrete floor, 50ft tall storage racks that make up isles upon isles stretching pretty far and all surrounded by heavily insulated white walls and a grey ceiling with ducts leading to giant industrial sized refrigeration units that would instantly freeze your skin if you put your exposed hand infront of an opening.

So as I was pulling orders and talking to the portable computer that I use to process the work order I heard the blowers shut down and then I heard something else, a single engine plane somewhere nearby but distant sounding because of the insulated nature of the warehouse. In a flash I was instantly dropped into a memory of eating a sack lunch in the woods near where I grew up with several of my childhood friends on a day of bright blue skies with brilliant white cotton clouds. The leaves on the tree's rustled from a cool breeze that was clean and only carried the smells of some distant flowers and the mossy smell of the large pond that we were sitting infront of. I can still feel the pea gravel that we were all sitting on that lined the edge of the pond and remember digging the heals of my sneakers in because the beach if you could call it that was a sloped hill. My lunch and that of my friend Brads consisted of a sandwich bagy of grapes and our goofy dorito sandwiches that were all the rage for us that summer. Brad, Melissa and myself regularly tromped around the woods and spent our time investigating the dozen or so small to large man made ponds that came from the now long gone gravel pits that dotted the area but we had this one that we spent most of time at and it was on this day that I heard a single engine plane, probably a cesna flying not to far off in the distance probably headed to or leaving the airport that was 5 miles away.

Silly maybe but it made my day a better one and reminded me of friends I hadnt seen in over 23 years so this week I've decided to start looking for these friends and others that I lost contact with when I moved at the age of 14.

Two of them I have never forgotten the last names of but two others I cant remember though they are most likely married atleast once already. Thinking back more I can remember several more friends from school including several girls I realy liked and the name of a bully that the last I heard he had went into his fathers business and went from an athlete body to 290lbs and hair loss at the age of 25 ( oh sweet justice ).

I've always found it to be somewhat amazing that a sound or smell or song can trigger long dormant memories. Lately it seems that alot of 80's and early 90's music and fashion is making a renewed come back and its brought back some good memories of highschool and my first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)