Source for CM4228 ??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
OK - I'm ready to bite the bullet and start my OTA antenna upgrade. I don't think I have any local retailers for the 4228 here in central PA. What is a good source? Where did you get yours and what did you pay?

TIA...

Warren does seem to have the best price - currently $46.51 plus $16.75 S&H - so I placed an on-line order with them. Maybe it will even get to me in time for the weekend.

I hope to have a favorable report back in a week or so!

Tks all for your replies. Great forum for this kind of stuff! BRgds...!

If you got standard ground that will be UPS economy (3-4 days).

Orders placed today will not hit UPS any earlier than tomorrow. IF they fill the order today!

UPS does not deliver on Saturdays.

3 days would be next Monday; sorry to say.

Unless you are within a 12 - 20 hr drive, you might get lucky late Friday, but best not to expect it and be happily surprised, rather than the other way around.

Did you make sure to order cable and diplexors? Lastly; if you have a satellite radio they also make a diplexor kit to run that down the same cable.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
If you got standard ground that will be UPS economy (3-4 days).

Orders placed today will not hit UPS any earlier than tomorrow. IF they fill the order today!

UPS does not deliver on Saturdays.

3 days would be next Monday; sorry to say.

Unless you are within a 12 - 20 hr drive, you might get lucky late Friday, but best not to expect it and be happily surprised, rather than the other way around.

Did you make sure to order cable and diplexors? Lastly; if you have a satellite radio they also make a diplexor kit to run that down the same cable.
Charper1 - Tks for the feedback! I agree that "here by Fri." is a stretch but sometimes UPS surprises me in a positive way! (Unlike the damaged 622 several weeks ago...grr...!) Since I don't really need it quickly it might get here early. If it doesn't, not a problem. I was planning to do something about this on Mon., but got too lazy...

I did not order anything extra. It comes with the balun and mast clamps. I have an old 16' telescoping mast for a temporary set-up while I try to find the best location, and I have tons of RG-6, tho' I might spring for some new stuff from Lowes - I think they have Belden - and also get a new compression fitting tool and connectors there. I am replacing part of an existing system that already has 2 separate RG-6 cables running to the 622's location for just OTA, so no need to diplex. Since that is already run from a central location I won't duplicate that part. (I can't, actually - it's in a tight conduit!) The overall run might be about 75' with at least one barrel in it. If the signal is weak then I might also order a HDP-269 as others like Rick0725 have recommended. I think that one would be best in my situation as the one OTA HD channel I already receive (well, I might add - from 35 miles!) might overload a different amp. But I'll take this upgrade one step at a time before I settle into a permanent location, at which time I'll make sure everything is mounted securely, grounded, weatherized, etc.

At this time I don't have sat. radio.

Tks again and BRgds...

Last edited:
charper1
Why would you tell someone to get diplexers,he is doing a new ant install and should not add something that could hurt signal or add problems to add a preamp if needed

oljim said:
charper1
Why would you tell someone to get diplexers,he is doing a new ant install and should not add something that could hurt signal or add problems to add a preamp if needed

It probably won't be a problem, unless he is also using an H20 from D*. You can't use diplexers with them.

I was simply mentioning something he might need. Just because he is doing a new antenna didnt let me know if he may have a DBS already or not and I didn't see where it said if he did or not, so just chill out "O" I am sure the OP knew I was just bringing up all the possibilities to make sure he had all his parts at once and on time. And from reading the reply he knew exactly what I was saying and why.

Last edited:
Tks, guys! I've been here for a little while and I've been at least peripherally "in the business" for over 30 years (done a few installs, etc.). I like to think I know what I'm doing, and I ask here when I don't - great forum! But I always appreciate everyone's perspective/advice/insight, and I respect all of you Supporting Founders as the core of the "braintrust".

For the record, I do have a modest E* installation: 622/811/311/D500/D300/DPP44. I first subbed in '98 with just the D300 and 2 receivers on 119 only, self-installed. The DBS system is completely independent of the OTA stuff that has been in the air for 25+ years and was only recently resurrected since my HD LiLs are quite some time off - if ever!

Just trying to be a part of the solution and not part of anyone's problem, hoping the former is the case...

Last edited:
OK - The 4228 arrived this AM via FedEX (ground). I'll pull it out tonight and start some experiments later this week. Report to follow...

Last edited:
I opened the 4228 box last evening and pulled it out - that's as far as I got as a major t-storm was building to cross the area. (I didn't feel like playing Ben Franklin waving that electron collector around in the super-charged atmosphere!)

I did notice that the back grid on mine is indeed two separate pieces that sorta touch, or not. (Some folks have reported that their grid is a single piece - YMMV.) I'll make sure to wire the halves together so they touch to improve the chances of picking-up hi-band VHF channels. Our local channel 10 analog is still one that I hope to get as a back-up in case the sat. is off (rare). It's strong so I don't think this will be any problem. If that works then I can pull down my old V/U antennas.

More to follow...

the screen is 2 pieces and comes shipped that way.

allign side to side and tie together.

not sure if it improves high vhf much but will stabilize the screens during wind gusts.

The antenna performs well ch 9-13...never tried 7 or 8.

Tks, Rick0725. Seems some others have gotten a 1-piece screen, and that's certainly the way it's pictured on their website. No matter. I won't be able to do anything with it this week, besides it's raining cats and dogs all day every day in these parts at least into the middle of the week. I'll report back as soon as I have a chance.

BTW - Lowes carries Carol QS cable in bulk. Any experience with that? It states it's swept to 3000MHz - good to know, but I don't think that will have much bearing for UHF freqs. I'm tempted to try it. I will also buy an inexpensive ("Ideal" - $20 ?) tool for compression connectors and the right ones for QS.

What is the best silicone grease to use on the outdoor connections?

TIA...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)