South Florida rain fade and installation?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mini1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
I'm moving to the Ft. Lauderdale area shortly and I wanted to know how bad rain fade is with the slimline dish in the general S. FL area with a correctly aligned slimline? Also who is the installer in the area? Mastec? What slimline version are they installing and what HD DVR (not multi-room) and what HD receiver are they installing?

In se florida in the rainy season you will lose signal briefly in most storms regardless of how peaked you are. Fortunately its normally only for a minute or less.

Rain Fade is a problem at ku and ka bands. Anyone who says it isn't is living in the desert or denying it. Anything above 6 ghz is affected by scatter of the signal. DBS ku is 12 ghz (SD) and ka (HD) is 18ghz. ka has 3 times more attenuation than ku. You could put up a 1.2 meter dish that Direct has for Alaska and Hawaii but you will still get outages. The 1.2 will allow you to stay up with moderate rain as long as you maintain a BER above threshold. I use a 90cm on 101 and it will allow Direct to work during moderate rain that takes out a slimline but heavy rain is going to effect even a 15 foot dish at Ku & Ka band frequency's. C band is totally immune to this.

FWIW I have had DirecTV in South Florida for over 5 years and experienced VERY few rain fade issues.

Anyone else? How about answers to the equipment questions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)