South Florida Voom Zone!!!

Ok, I messed around with the antenna, and I tilted it about 8 degrees westward and noticed a marked improvement. What's strange is my house is two story shouldn't the tech had installed the antenna as high as possible for maximum radius?

How I get ABC easier, but PBS stutters at times.. I still can't figure out my channel mapping issues but tomorrow a real Voom installer is coming between 2-6pm to check it out, i want him to tell me exactly what's up.. will keep you guys posted.

Dvlos said:
Ok, I messed around with the antenna, and I tilted it about 8 degrees westward and noticed a marked improvement. What's strange is my house is two story shouldn't the tech had installed the antenna as high as possible for maximum radius?

How I get ABC easier, but PBS stutters at times.. I still can't figure out my channel mapping issues but tomorrow a real Voom installer is coming between 2-6pm to check it out, i want him to tell me exactly what's up.. will keep you guys posted.

I had a second installer come out as well...he moved the OTA to a higher point and further away from the dish. He also put in the amplified card in the antenna which the first installer failed to do. Make sure you ask him to check this. In the actual antenna there should be a card which should be the amplified one. It draws it's power from the Voom box. This improved everything a lot!

Ok problem solved except one, it got real late and couldn't do thats to move the OTA higher.. my townhouse is all concrete and as he was trying to movie it around we would lose or gain OTA channels... he replaced the LNB? The little device that sits in front of hte dish.. BOOM all fixed.

Dvlos said:
Ok problem solved except one, it got real late and couldn't do thats to move the OTA higher.. my townhouse is all concrete and as he was trying to movie it around we would lose or gain OTA channels... he replaced the LNB? The little device that sits in front of hte dish.. BOOM all fixed.

Good news...now you're VOOMING!!!

Yeah it's great I realized that I was missing some channels like RAVE, that plays music videos in 1080i.. awesome..

Update on delayed install and a question or two

I was originally scheduled for an install on June 5th, but the installer called the night before to say that they hadn't received the equipment and would need to wait. He told me that he expected that he would receive the equpment during the coming week and we could then reschedule. I called twice, during the week, to see if the equipment had arrived yet and it hadn't.

Today I called Customer Service and told them how frustrated I was with the process so far and the tech (who was really very friendly and helpful) told me that they could commit to June 21st for the install and that perhaps it would be done sooner. He was apologetic and also told me that as an accomodation for my patience that VOOM would put a credit of $50 towards my first invoice. I actually thought that was a pretty good move on their part as I was beginning to wonder if this delay foretold more problems later on.

So now I'm still waiting and looking forward to getting onboard with HD. I do still have a question or two though:

o I read different posts on this forum regarding duplexers. Some say that you should refuse them and get two cables run and others say that with later equipment the duplexer type installation is fine. What are your recommendations on this?

o I'm going to purchase an optical audio cable for the install, but I'm wondering about the component video cables they will bring. My tv sits in the middle of a very large home theatre unit and will need cables longer than 6' to reach from where the STB will be to the back of my tv. Do they bring longer cables with them or should I go and buy some?

o I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area (Weston) and have read that the stealth antennas should work pretty well in this area (I think the OTA stations are all pretty close). But, I have read that some people request antenna upgrades and am not clear whether I should consider that upfront or not. I'd appreciate hearing others' experience (in this area) with this antenna.

Still waiting...
LMT

Yup...that's what I thought...East!
Vlad, I gues we have to try turning ours a bit due east...I'm going to try this weekend and post if it works.
You see Vlad...we will be seeing more voom dishes in the neighborhood after all...!!!

truqui,

Have you adjusted your antenna yet? If so did it help with the WPB channels?

I have read that some people request antenna upgrades and am not clear whether I should consider that upfront or not. I'd appreciate hearing others' experience (in this area) with this antenna.

I'm in West Mirarmar and I haven't had any problems getting the Miami channels with the standard antenna.

Vlad

Vlad...I haven't gotten around to get up on my roof and tweak the antenna yet but some station s are coming in. I can't recall which ones right now but I was surprised to see them. I'll try to around to doing it soon.

LMT...like Vlad I'm in West Miramar and the Channel Master Stealth works fine...although we are a bit closer to the towers but I don't suspect you will have any issues as long as you have line of sight.

I have a diplexar and don't have any problems. It's been said that it's better not to have it but in my case due to a smart box and the house being pre-wired, I went with it. Some people insist on not having a diplexar so I guess you'll have to decide.

The install package come with a DVI cable and component cables which I think are 6' long.

Again, let us know how it goes and good luck!!!

I can get Voom with a regular antenna but not the Wineguard OTA antenna, I won't know for sure until they tripod mount my antenna on the roof.

I just had my Voom installed on 6/18 and so far its great! The only draw back is only 2 local channels. The signals are 47 miles from my house in Port St Lucie. Guess I need to upgrade the OTA antenna.

TC_Lauderdale said:
Does anybody get channel 29 WFLX? I'm in Plantation and my antenna is facing due south, but I think that 29 is north, right?
I know this doesnt help but I live in PPines and I can get 29 WFLX from my D* system with a Terk55 mounted in attic and facing the right way. With Voom, they mounted the stealth antenna pointing towards the stadium so I never get any WPB stations, however one night I got channel 12 for a little bit (odd weather or something). But Like i said, it's pointing towards the miami stations, if you rotate it you should be able to get it. A while back this was a big issue for me since channel 7 didnt even broadcast 480P, about 2 months they started doing it so it's no great loss not getting 29 anymore. Hope that info helped.

New Voomer ...

Hello to all,

Just had my Voom installed last Friday (West Palm Beach) and I have to say, everything is working fine so far. The HD channels are awesome, especially Equator, Rush and Rave. There are some SD channels I hope they get sometime soon like SciFi, USA and Food Network but I can live without them for sure.

My existing OTA antenna from my previous setup is picking up the digitals fine all the way down to Miami (4,6,7,10 among others) and my locals (5,12,29,39 and others).

Running the DTV in another room for a month or so before I commit 100% to Voom. So far I like what I see.

Look forward to a DVR soon from Voom ...

New Voomer and loving it!

Well, after a couple of delayed install dates they finally got me installed yesterday. It all went pretty smoothly and by the time the guy had finished putting the dish and OTA antenna up I had all the wires run to my sound system and tv so he just had to lay in the receiver, plug it in and go.

I am more impressed with the quality of the picture than I thought I would be. I have the video running into Component jacks and the audio into a DSP sound system with optical cable. The sound is great, clear and strong. The picture is vibrant and crisp. That is something considering my tv is not an LCD, but a rear projection HD. Even my wife (who is sick of all the TV stuff I've bought over the years) comments on the better picture quality.

I've gone into system settings and checked the signal strength and the dish is getting 95, but the antenna is getting only 50-60. I get NBC, CBS, UPN, WB and others, but can't lock in ABC. If I tune to it I can hear the sound, but the screen remains black. I'm thinking of having the tech return and "tune" the antenna a bit. When he was installing it I asked if he used a meter to aim it and he told me that most installers "don't want to spend the big money to buy the meter..." so he does it by "experience". I can remember reading a posting or two about installers not putting a card in the antenna (perhaps I misunderstood). Anyway, I'd like to get ABC and then all will be perfect.

Although I had many years of being spoiled by a great remote and program access features of my Sony DTV receiver I actually like the VOOM unit. The categories are fine although I'd like to see the locals identified by they network affiliation (e.g., NBC) as I really don't have the call letters memorized.

Anyway, the install went well...and I'm playing with my new toy.

FOOTNOTE: I called DTV today to cancel and told them I had gone to VOOM. The CSR told me about their HD offering and offered a $250 credit on the IRD and free install if I would consider staying. Interesting...when I wanted to see if they had any HD deals to offer a long-time customer (5 years) before their response was "No". In the end, I'm pretty happy now and not looking back.

LMT

lmtorres said:
I've gone into system settings and checked the signal strength and the dish is getting 95, but the antenna is getting only 50-60. I get NBC, CBS, UPN, WB and others, but can't lock in ABC. If I tune to it I can hear the sound, but the screen remains black. I'm thinking of having the tech return and "tune" the antenna a bit. When he was installing it I asked if he used a meter to aim it and he told me that most installers "don't want to spend the big money to buy the meter..." so he does it by "experience". I can remember reading a posting or two about installers not putting a card in the antenna (perhaps I misunderstood). Anyway, I'd like to get ABC and then all will be perfect.
LMT

Congrats on Vooming in...!!! Good to hear you had a smooth install.

The OTA antenna should have an amplified card inside. My first installer didn't switch it but the next guy caught it and the difference is big.

Strange that you can hear ABC but not see it!
When you check the system settings for signal strength, make sure that you are tuned to a local OTA station. I'm almost positive that the readings are for each individual station that is tuned in at that moment. Post the question in the main forum to make sure.

Again...hope you have a Vooming experience!

Nitro said:
Hello to all,

Just had my Voom installed last Friday (West Palm Beach) and I have to say, everything is working fine so far. The HD channels are awesome, especially Equator, Rush and Rave. There are some SD channels I hope they get sometime soon like SciFi, USA and Food Network but I can live without them for sure.

My existing OTA antenna from my previous setup is picking up the digitals fine all the way down to Miami (4,6,7,10 among others) and my locals (5,12,29,39 and others).

Running the DTV in another room for a month or so before I commit 100% to Voom. So far I like what I see.

Look forward to a DVR soon from Voom ...

A warm South Florida welcome to Voom...!!!

Isn't Equator great...??? This is the perfect channel to have on when you have guests at home and you want to knock their pants off with your HDTV!!!

I called customer service and they will send someone out to readjust the FTA July 14th. In the meantime, you mentioned a card in the antenna. Is there anything I can do that might affect the reception?

Thanks,
LMT

A question about amplification, I have the Wineguard OTA, it's supposed to be better than the stealth, what is the amplification card, and how do you know if it's turned on? ALso what's the range on the Wineguard in terms of miles?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts