'South Park' Conducting HD Tests

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
Comedy Central Animated Hit Experimenting With Format

Comedy Central's animated hit "South Park" is producing some episodes in high definition, a network spokesman confirmed.

At the request of the channel, Los Angeles-based South Park Studios recently produced two episodes of the series in the HD format.

The big question is: Why?

Full Story

Good question. Considering the crude style of animation when South Park originally showed up ten years ago, what would be gained by a move to HD (except maybe the 16:9 format)? Since they moved to computer animation from the old construction paper cut-outs, generating HD shouldn't be a big deal for them, but where are they going to show it? The new Comedy Central HD?

We used to watch SP all the time, but after our son was born, well, it's fallen out of favor in our household.

Maybe Animania could carry it.

Generally I will watch just about anything if it's HD, but in this case I might have to make an exception.

Maybe Animania could carry it.

Generally I will watch just about anything if it's HD, but in this case I might have to make an exception.

Animania has pretty much been family-friendly animation; I never hesitate to let my son watch it (although her rarely does, little excited him on it). If South Park was on it, I would need to impose a parental control.

XBox360 could carry it live as a video marketplace download RIGHT NOW in HD. They already make the SD episodes available (even the Cartman as Buck Rogers I GOTTA GET A WII!!!! episode which surprised me).