space launch has been cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that HDNews and HDNet will continue to cover the "Return to Flight" of Discovery in brilliant HD like they did today. I'm sure it's not cheap to have coverage for an event, stick around a few days after the scrub, and set up to cover it again.

I heard the earliest they can launch Discovery now would be on Saturday.

I'm watching NASATV on my PC right now and they said due to weather, the launch would have been scrubbed anyway.

It's a wonder this thing flies, check out the pic, the new tank heaters were installed with duct tape! :shocked

Attachments

• Shuttle Heaters.jpg
    Shuttle Heaters.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 215
Im amazed that people are surprised that occasionally astronuts strapped to a large hydrogen/oxygen bomb sometimes explode. Im also perplexed that these plastic covers fell off and damaged tiles. What did they think would happen when they fell off during launch? I also recall before that last accident that they accidently found some deteriorated fuel lines or something. I remember telling my boss that you would think every item of that shuttle would have a documented life and that it would be inspected. I aslo recall telling him that that particular discovery which came as a surprise to NASA was a good indication of an impending accident. Sure enough something they didnt plan on flew off and hit the wings.

Personally I think they need to retire the shuttle and come up with a new plane/rocket to access space. Don't get me wrong, I like the shuttle, but it is 70s technology.

Neutron said:
Personally I think they need to retire the shuttle and come up with a new plane/rocket to access space. Don't get me wrong, I like the shuttle, but it is 70s technology.
More like 60s, actually. The Enterprise drop tests were in the mid-70s, and most of the shuttle's design elements were frozen while NASA was still going to the moon. Think of it this way: NASA has been launching people into space for 44 years. The shuttle has been NASA's launch vehicle for over half of that time.

A new shuttle/space plane won't see flight for at least ten years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)