Space Shuttle Atlantis STS-122 Launch

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Space Shuttle Atlantis STS-122 Launch - HDNet 3:30 Pm Est 12/06
The seven astronauts aboard Atlantis will begin a planned 11-day mission to install the European-built 'Columbus' laboratory. Live from the Kennedy Space Center's launch pad 39a on Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Technically no...the launch window itself is open every day until 12/16.

If they attempt Sunday and Monday then they need a 72 hour turnaround to top off the cyros.

The new LCC for tomorrow is that 4/4 ECO sensors must be working to attempt a launch. This is increased from 3/4 because when this situation has occured before (STS-114, STS-115), all 4/4 ECO's passed during the second tanking attempt.

If any of the ECO's fail tomorrow then we probably won't see a launch during this window. It would probably be decided that a repair or investigation is necessary, which most likely could be done at 39A, but would take longer than the rest of the launch window.

If STS-122 is delayed into January, STS-123's launch date in February is not affected.

Weather is looking fine tomorrow.

NASA scrubbed today's scheduled launch (same issue) and is standing down for a few weeks to try and figure out/resolve the fuel sensor issue.

Next possible date they stated that a launch may occur is Jan. 2nd. 2008.

Partially the same issue, but it's worse. An LH2 sensor failed during tanking, but LO2 sensor 3 also failed as dry when it was really wet. This is the first ever problem with an LO2 sensor.

Looks like any investigation or repairs will take up the rest of this launch window. If a rollback is required, I think we'll be seeing a week or two into January at the minimum. If these activities can be completed at 39A, it may be shorter.

EDIT: LO2 sensor does not seem to be a problem. Was most likely a console issue. LH2 is still a problem. MMT debating whether or not this area is safely accessable from pad. Looks like they will try at the pad.

If they roll back, January 2 becomes very unlikely...

They said even that would be ok and should not put their plans for the next year in any jeopardy.
Hope they find what's causing the problem though. These sensors have been causing a lot of frustration in the past couple of years.

HDNET TO BROADCAST LIVE, EXCLUSIVE HIGH DEFINITION COVERAGE OF THE LAUNCH OF SPACE SHUTTLE ATLANTIS -
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 7, 2008

Network's coverage begins at 2:00 p.m. ET with launch from the Kennedy Space Center scheduled for 2:45 p.m. ET

WHAT: HDNet to broadcast EXCLUSIVE HD coverage of the launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis, marking NASA's 24th US mission to the International Space Station.

The mission of STS-122 is to deliver the European Space Agency's Columbus science laboratory module. The cylindrical, 23-foot long Columbus lab is the first all-European laboratory to be attached to the International Space Station. Additional construction on the International Space Station will also be part of the mission.

HDNet's coverage will be hosted by HDNet World Report Correspondent Greg Dobbs and former astronaut Colonel Charles "Sam" Gemar.

WHEN: EXCLUSIVE HD coverage begins on HDNet at 2:00 p.m., running until 3:00 p.m. ET - with the launch of Atlantis scheduled for 2:45 p.m. ET.
Source: HDNet<!-- / message -->

I watch it every time too! I prefer NASA channel for the undubbed commentary, but I always switch to HDNet to witness the launch moment in HD. It takes my breath away every single time! I can't believe how lucky I am to live during the times when the civilization was finally able to go into Space. It's mindboggling if you think about it... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)