Spaceway F2 set for Launch Nov 9th!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
maogdamian said:
Hmm... [snip] Im sure ill be corrected if im wrong but all the articles ive read have clearly stated this....

articles read from where? MAD Magazine? or was it Al Jazeera?

War on Portugal? No the war on Iraq silly! All made up, I just like to see you all get going! =) All the fun tangents, but I am suprised no one said anything about Bush being impeached. lol Well thanks Ill be sure to post a big load of crap more often...

Can anyone tell me why D* thinks broadcasting HD local channels to the top twelve markets (and beyond), where over 80% of the people can get those same channels over-the-air for free, is such a big deal? Why would you pay for what you can get for free, especially when they still do not have some of the best HD content, like TNT HD for instance? I just don't get it. If you ARE going to rebroadcast locals, why not go to rural areas and fringes where people cannot get them?

I might think it was o.k. if they had TNT HD and the rest of the movie channels in HD. Does anyone know if D* plans to use any of its capacity on this National HD content, instead of wasting it on something I am already watching every night? (for free) Why would giving you locals stop you from switching to DISH, who already has the national content most people are willing to pay for to get.

Please help me to understand this. I have always thought D* was run by idiots, but this takes the cake.

The ONLY way you can compete 100% against cable is to be able to offer what they do, so having LIL HD is a smart move. Many people in heavily populated metro area that can get perfect DBS reception still have a tough time with OTA HD; so without a LIL HD option they must go with cable.

Happy Camper said:
Can anyone tell me why D* thinks broadcasting HD local channels to the top twelve markets (and beyond), where over 80% of the people can get those same channels over-the-air for free, is such a big deal? Why would you pay for what you can get for free, especially when they still do not have some of the best HD content, like TNT HD for instance? I just don't get it. If you ARE going to rebroadcast locals, why not go to rural areas and fringes where people cannot get them?

I might think it was o.k. if they had TNT HD and the rest of the movie channels in HD. Does anyone know if D* plans to use any of its capacity on this National HD content, instead of wasting it on something I am already watching every night? (for free) Why would giving you locals stop you from switching to DISH, who already has the national content most people are willing to pay for to get.

Please help me to understand this. I have always thought D* was run by idiots, but this takes the cake.

It's called Marketing 101.
1) Offer a product.
2) Convince the public they can't live without it.
3) Convince the public they can't get it anywhere else.
4) Profit!

If they marketed to the people in the middle of nowhere, they would not have enough subscribers to make up for the investment, it's like fishing, if you fish in a bathtub with 10 fish, where a catch is 100% certain, you'll have 10 fish, fish in a lake with millions of fish, and you're sure to end up with more than 10 fish caught, even if the catches aren't close to 100% certain. Greedy? yes, financially immoral?, maybe, but the method is anything but idiodic, remember as far as they are concerned, the investors come first, if they marketed HD locals to places like YeeHaw Junction instead of NewYork, they'd go broke.

They exist soley to make money, not to impress their customers with logic, or save the world by offering rural folks HDTV. (although they might market themselves as trying to.)

Happy Camper said:

One of the most common thing about the top DMA's is that they are large. So large that a large number of people in those DMA's cannot get a decent signal OTA, HD or otherwise. I think you could make a pretty good argument that the potential customers in the fringe portions of a Top-12 DMA outnumber the entire population of the smaller DMA's.

peterl1365 said:
I think you could make a pretty good argument that the potential customers in the fringe portions of a Top-12 DMA outnumber the entire population of the smaller DMA's.

Also take into account the topography of a few of those large DMAs; like Los Angeles for example. There are a good number of people that thanks to mother earth can't get a quality OTA signal.

That being said the bottom line is if cable is doing it locally, then DBS wants to do it also to stay competitive. Remember some of this has just recently become legal for them to attempt. Lets keep dealing deathblows to the NAB.

Happy Camper said:
Can anyone tell me why D* thinks broadcasting HD local channels to the top twelve markets (and beyond), where over 80% of the people can get those same channels over-the-air for free, is such a big deal?

Because a number of folks don't want to go through the expense of having to install an OTA on their roof. There's also the WAF, she might say OK do a small dish but not a but OTA antenna. There's also the folks that live in areas that the broadcast antennas are not all in the same general area so they would also need to get a rotator, more expense, plus might prevent viewing two different channels on two different sets.

Those are the reasons that come to the top of my head.

Then there are DMA's that the local broadcasters are very slow to implement DTV and or are having local problems (Denver comes to mind :).

I do want a full bandwidth signal though and not something that is too compressed.

charper1 said:
Also take into account the topography of a few of those large DMAs; like Los Angeles for example. There are a good number of people that thanks to mother earth can't get a quality OTA signal.

That being said the bottom line is if cable is doing it locally, then DBS wants to do it also to stay competitive. Remember some of this has just recently become legal for them to attempt. Lets keep dealing deathblows to the NAB.

Absolutely. I live in the Los Angeles DMA, although I'm probably geographically closer to the San Diego broadcast towers than to the L.A. towers. Whatever the case, I'm in a valley area that cannot get OTA from either market, unless I was willing to put up a ridiculously large antenna. In the L.A. DMA, there are probably 2-3 million people who are in the same predicament.

Sheesh

Does anyone really know.. Maybe they need more satellites in orbit for researching csr's, looking for new customers - or saving the last remaining ones by creating hope for HD Locals in the future..Didn't this process start when Clinton was in office?

Just kidding--

Best of luck to your HD local endeavors.. I got mine faster, cheaper and with less wires..

MPEG 4 will be on your doorstep b4 you know it. Then you'll get your HD locals. That's the real reason for the SAT sitch :cool:

Now,
Lets-Rock

wolfman said:
LyngSat has a launch date of Oct. 27.

Since Ariane says 11/9 I think I'll believe them, I think Lyngsat is just a bit behind on the update since it was just announced yesterday.

LonghornXP said:
All the testing will take about a month. With a normal satellite launch it would take about two weeks but Boeing wants two weeks so combined with D*s two weeks it will endup taking a month. After that month it might take weeks to get everything uplinked and ready to go. Most of the 12 markets will get upgraded before years end unless they change their minds again.

Hopefully Boeing will take only a month (as in delivery to D* in December) as compared to the six months Boeing played with F1.

Don

donyoop said:
Hopefully Boeing will take only a month (as in delivery to D* in December) as compared to the six months Boeing played with F1. Don

Thats only because that particular bird experienced "anomalies" and they took their time researching and repairing them before the official handoff. AND I also think it traveled around the belt a while. More accurately: Here's hoping there are no problems with this bird AND we get a speedy handoff.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)