Spam call from Echostar?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yes, scammers just "Spoof" name and legitimate number. The solution is EASY: just hang-up, and call Dish yourself (perhaps from a mobile phone or wait a few minutes if it is a land-line phone) and ask the CSR (USA CSR, if possible) about your account and any notices. When they confirm they have no such notices tied to your account, you can rest well, or find out that it may be legitimate and get your free fix.

I'd try to keep them on the line and see how long you can do it. Then the next day, tell everyone that you talk to (who you thought was) Jennifer Garner for hours.

Unless it's a number we know or are expecting, it goes to VM and we screen it. If it's legit, we pick it up. They've all understood, some saying they do it themselves. My office phones don't even ring. If I happen to notice the light go on and know who the caller is, I'll answer. Otherwise, off to VM. Unless I'm bored. Then I'll answer and waste as much of their time as they allow before hanging up on me.
BUT the telcos aren't helping. Just as the problems we had when Cell phones started going nutz. The telcos wouldn't pass on the CID info. Here it looks like they are letting anything through.

After I have had them on the line for a couple of minutes I tell them "Thank you for staying on the line long enough that my VoIP company has tracked their actual location." "Click!"

Reactions: charlesrshell
BUT the telcos aren't helping. Just as the problems we had when Cell phones started going nutz. The telcos wouldn't pass on the CID info. Here it looks like they are letting anything through.

After I have had them on the line for a couple of minutes I tell them "Thank you for staying on the line long enough that my VoIP company has tracked their actual location." "Click!"
The problem in part is that there are legitimate commercial uses for number spoofing.

Really? How innovative these crooks are nowadays. I still wouldn't answer, but to each his own.
Um, my social worker and some other people who help me out when they call from their cell phones listed as "unknown". I also in the past had job interviews and legit businesses of whom I am a customer call me (most of the time returning a phone call) as well as other legit calls call me with a number I don't recognize or "unknown" so I answer a lot of them. But I'm aware of every scam in the book, and can easily detect new ones because they are all obvious so I don't fall for them anyways, plus I have a Verizon app on my phone that blocks 99% of the scam calls anyways. I'm also aware of even the scam calls of which they want me to answer "yes" of which I aways hang up on immediately (I'm assuming the scammers could get creative with whatever answer you give). The other scams that call me if I'm not busy I absolutely love waisting their time and sometimes I put an airhorn at the phone. And yes I'm aware there's most likely a decibel level that phones can reach at maximum, but that doesn't change the fact that the airhorn would still be very annoying on the phone.

Going on here also. This was posted by local radio station.

One of the latest scams in our area involves scammers pretending to be employees from Dish Network. These scammers have a good deal of your personal information and can also access the satellite receivers, to make it seem like they are legitimate. The callers may even have the last four digits of your bank card. They caller ID can even display Dish Network. They’ll call you saying they have a better rate for you if you switch service packages, or tell you that you need to upgrade your receiver. A reminder to never give out personal information over the phone. Dish Network says they never contact customers by phone, only by mail and email. They want customers to initiate the call so there’s no confusion. Contact your Dish provider if you have any questions.
HOO BOY! Yes they are Very Slick! I got suckered all the way down the "update my firmware" BS until they insisted on my Visa card number. I hung up, called Dish and they confirmed it's a scam. BUT, it took almost an hour to kill then restart my account to restore service - bastards froze my existing account.

HOO BOY! Yes they are Very Slick! I got suckered all the way down the "update my firmware" BS until they insisted on my Visa card number. I hung up, called Dish and they confirmed it's a scam. BUT, it took almost an hour to kill then restart my account to restore service - bastards froze my existing account.
Why do you even answer these phone calls? If I don't recognize a number I let it go to voice mail. Most of the time these idiots won't leave one.
GIF by Blue Man Group

I saw Dish on the caller ID the other day, figured it was going to be something related to Sinclair, and let it go to the answering machine. They didn't leave a message.

But, is it true that the scammers are again claiming to have information about people's accounts? How the hell does THAT happen? Is Dish using the same database people as T-Mobile?

I set my cellphone to block all calls that are not in my contact list, ...
Same here. In fact, the preamble I give them states clearly that I don't answer the phone unless you are on my contact list and if you are you should reach me on my landline - and they'd know that number if I knew them. If you're not, El Blocko sends them off to hell.

I also switch the thing off when I'm not using it. Now, if I can only find a way to block the texters that want to sell me subscriptions to adult websites or other non-family-style crud.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)