Spare receiver for ppv events only

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Noryn

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
My grandfather's old home has a Directv dish, it was installed about 3-4 years ago and is the smaller dish with a single lnb. I occasionally go down and spend a night or two. I would like to be able to buy a receiver and use it for ppv events when I am down there--have a few friends over for UFC, etc. I think there would be something like a 5 dollar monthly fee as well.

I was looking at the D12 receivers on Amazon for about 65 dollars, would these work? Also will the single LNB with the small dishes pick up most standard definition ppv events? I installed a Hughes system about 11 years ago and it was the same size Dish. What concerns me (and this may be where I am wrong) is that about 9-10 years ago I went to Dish network which started using the larger Dish 500 dish. Now I see bigger oval shaped Directv dishes--not sure if they are mainly for locals/hd--which I will not need.

I really appreciate any help.

My grandfather's old home has a Directv dish, it was installed about 3-4 years ago and is the smaller dish with a single lnb. I occasionally go down and spend a night or two. I would like to be able to buy a receiver and use it for ppv events when I am down there--have a few friends over for UFC, etc. I think there would be something like a 5 dollar monthly fee as well.

I was looking at the D12 receivers on Amazon for about 65 dollars, would these work? Also will the single LNB with the small dishes pick up most standard definition ppv events? I installed a Hughes system about 11 years ago and it was the same size Dish. What concerns me (and this may be where I am wrong) is that about 9-10 years ago I went to Dish network which started using the larger Dish 500 dish. Now I see bigger oval shaped Directv dishes--not sure if they are mainly for locals/hd--which I will not need.

I really appreciate any help.

The sd ppv comes from 101, so you should be okay. You are exactly right about the new, larger dishes. BTW, if you are a "good" customer, Directv may give you an sd receiver for free. Why not call and ask?

Thanks. I am currently not a customer and there is basic cable at his home. I just wanted to be able to access movies or events and have some old friends over.

Thanks. I am currently not a customer and there is basic cable at his home. I just wanted to be able to access movies or events and have some old friends over.

Is your grandfather a current customer?

No, the home is currently empty. The renter moved out last May and my parents decided to not rent it out again. The renter had the Directv system installed, I think about 2-3 years ago which is why I was sort of surprised it was still the smaller dish.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

No, the home is currently empty. The renter moved out last May and my parents decided to not rent it out again. The renter had the Directv system installed, I think about 2-3 years ago which is why I was sort of surprised it was still the smaller dish.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Well, you would have to set up a new account then. The receiver doesn't work without a current account.

Right. I am thinking it costs 5 dollars a month to do that. I was just worried the equipment may not work or dish wouldn't hit the right satellite. I think with Dish the new receivers wont work with the old dishes or the other way around.

I would think you would have to subscribe to a minimal channel package as well and sign at least an 18 month service contract. Could be looking at $30 per month.

I would think you would have to subscribe to a minimal channel package as well and sign at least an 18 month service contract. Could be looking at $30 per month.

Wow, even if I buy my own receiver?

Wow, even if I buy my own receiver?

Of course. The $5/month charge is for any equipment beyond the first one on the account. You have to have an account first, which is about $30/month.

Ahh there used to be that option I thought. Maybe it was with Dish. But you kept your account active for 5 dollars a month with no programming. I will only have 1 receiver, I only want to be able to order ppv.

Things have probably changed but that is actually the reason my wife bought me a Directv receiver 11 years ago. We had basic cable as part of our rent but I wanted the movie channels so bought Directv for HBO. At that time I was able to just buy the HBO channels.

Ahh there used to be that option I thought. Maybe it was with Dish. But you kept your account active for 5 dollars a month with no programming. I will only have 1 receiver, I only want to be able to order ppv.

Things have probably changed but that is actually the reason my wife bought me a Directv receiver 11 years ago. We had basic cable as part of our rent but I wanted the movie channels so bought Directv for HBO. At that time I was able to just buy the HBO channels.

I know at one time you could subscribe to Sunday Ticket without a regular subscription, but no more.

Yeah it isn't leased. That is why I didn't go to Best Buy.

Yeah it isn't leased. That is why I didn't go to Best Buy.

You must have contacted Directv to make sure that it isn't leased then, yes? I wouldn't take anyone's word for it.

I've never heard of anyone now or 11 years ago being able to get DIRECTV and only pay for the HBO channels. Any one else heard of this ?

I've never heard of anyone now or 11 years ago being able to get DIRECTV and only pay for the HBO channels. Any one else heard of this ?

AFAIK, the only programming available without a regular subscription was Sunday Ticket.

It was definitely possible at one time. It was the Christmas of 1998 that my wife bought me a Hughes system from Montgomery Wards. At that time the single lnb systems were 99 dollars and the dual lnb systems were either 150 or 200 dollars. Lol I can still remember pointing the dish--I actually did a good job with it.

That spring our cable was cut off, we thought it was included in the rent but apparently the previous renters never had it cut off. I then upgraded to the channel package--I can't remember the names though--was it bronze, silver and gold? But talk about being impressed! This was before digital cable so I went from having about 30 channels on cable to quite a few with Directv. Fell in love with ZDTV--good times!

My memory is awesome for events in my life but not as good for other things. I cannot remember what those packages were called. I know the new Dish packages were bronze, silver and gold but I also though the old Directv packages were too.

One of the providers even had a supplement cable package--I cant remember which one. It included the channels most cable companies didn't have. But I am certain at one time it was possible to just subscribe to a movie channel with Directv.

Back when D* started they had a package that had a lot of oddball channels that cable didnt have for like 15 bucks

checking the way back machine D* DID have gold, silver, and platnum...this was 97
Welcome to DIRECTV

Nothing I see that says you can get only movie channels through D*...through USSB you could which only had movie chanenls and the Viacom channels (MTV, VH1, COMEDY, NIC, etc)
DIRECTV USSB(TM)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)