Speakeasy

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Just for general info, I thought I'd post about Speakeasy DSL. In the northern VA area, I get the full 1.5 down. The service is very reliable- in the years I've had it, I think there's only been one unscheduled outage. They provide static IPs, news groups access, the usual email stuff, etc. This is a premium service. I pay just shy of $65 per month, all taxes and charges included.

Unfortunately, I am moving across from Geo Mason U in an odd spot that has no DSL available. 14,410 feet from the CO. For an extra $6/month they will run a dedicated line. They figure there is about a 60% chance of this working. Verizon doesn't even offer that option. If it doesn't work, my only other options for broadband would be cable or satellite- neither of which offer static IPs, IIRC. Actually, cable offers a business class with static IPs for an obscene fee.

I had Speakeasy years ago before regular ADSL was available at my house. I had SDSL from them and I loved it. If they could have competed with the ADSL price when it came out I would have stayed with them. Now my speeds keep going up and the costs go down with both Bellsouth ADSL and local cable internet at my own office

And I got bad news today. The ILEC reconfigured and my actual distance is over 17,000 feet. No chance of DSL. There is some kind of fiber/T1/IDSL option, though. I'm waiting to hear back. I hope they're not suggesting 144kbps!

I'm using SE for years now, they are great.

17k? That could be because they tend to pull in fixed cable loops fpr whole streets etc and use it even if you're only steps away fro the CO - my sysadmin had the same problem. Go higher at SE and request a "cut": they can ask VZ (or whoever is your ILEC) to do this - my guy got this thing fixed after a few weeks of fight.

18,600 feet.

Verizon "checked for me" to offer me their -ugh- "flavor" of DSL. Without my asking, I might add. One part of Verizon couldn't get another part to "play ball."

So I already signed up for- forgive me, it was that or satellite (latency)- cable broadband.

I'm hoping that this lack of DSL, and the proximity to Geo Mason U, will mean that FiOS is coming to the neighborhood soon. I have it on good authority- the Easter Bunny told me. :(

I'm out of time- closing is Friday.

navychop said:
18,600 feet.

Verizon "checked for me" to offer me their -ugh- "flavor" of DSL. Without my asking, I might add. One part of Verizon couldn't get another part to "play ball."

So I already signed up for- forgive me, it was that or satellite (latency)- cable broadband.

I'm hoping that this lack of DSL, and the proximity to Geo Mason U, will mean that FiOS is coming to the neighborhood soon. I have it on good authority- the Easter Bunny told me. :(

I'm out of time- closing is Friday.
Ever think of "wireless dsl"? I know Verizon offers it

The wireless product offered by Verizon around here is a DSL line into your home and a wireless router. No DSL, no wireless DSL.

I went ahead and asked for a "cut" anyway- no response.

Mine is one of a very few neighborhoods with no DSL service in this area- or so they say.

It all dies on Friday. I might be scarce on these forums for a while...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)