Speaker Stand Suggestions

In my research, and I tend to read a lot before purchases, I looked hard at floorstanding speakers. What i found is it's an interesting topic, that many times is more passion than anything, and of course it's your money, Id not expect you to defend your reasoning. Here is mine, from my reading:

*) Are floorstanding speakers better at producing a more accurate range of sounds due to 4-5 speakers in each? Yes
*) Are floorstanders of utmost importance when being a 2ch audio fan? Yes.
*) Are floorstanders as important in a HT setup? No.
*) Do I like the way floorstanders look, as opposed to bookshelfs and stands? No. WAF also applies

My ultimate goal, is preparing for my PJ room, where I already intend a 5.1/7.1 system, with a preamp and amps, as well as TWO Hsu subs. In this setup, there is no valid reason for floorstanders, especially since I listen to ZERO 2 channel music. By just about all accounts, great bookshelf speakers vs great floorstanding speakers in a 5.1 HT setup, has no bearing. It's just a matter of preference.

My main reason for the upgrade, even though these ProMonitors sound great, is I'd like a larger midbass woofer, which I got in the 8". Also, I think I'll prefer the Klipsch horn tweeter in my application, and they are 8-9 dB more efficient than the Def Tech's. When crossing the center and fronts at 80hz, and the LFE being up to 120hz, I just think the 5.25" woofers in the Def Tech's are lacking a little. I was going to sell the Def Tech's, but realizing how much I enjoy them, im going to store them because they will be used in our general area when the Klipsch setup moves to the PJ room. We are talking 2 years from now most likely, but Im already trying to prepare and plan this out. I want it done right the first time, because I intend for a room where people can come over and greatly enjoy both movies and sporting events on a large screen.

Ive now chosen my speaker line, and I feel its a damn good one (you just dont find many negative comments about this Klipsch line), and I like their sound. I cancelled my Emotiva order after some more reading, and I intend to buy an Outlaw amp instead, I just cannot fit it in my current setup, but I think the SR6005 will serve me fine for now.

I intend on a JVC projector, unless something better is out at that time, and I already have a sub I like, which I will buy a second of. I only need to decide on chairs and a screen, as well as a preamp (most likely Marantz), but this stuff will not come until its time to finalize. My goal at this point, is to finish paying off a car, then build our new home :)

I just figured why not enjoy the new speakers ;)

I think Ill enjoy a Klipsch 5.1 setup, a Marantz Preamp, an Outlaw amp, and 2 12" subs :)

Last edited:
Best speakers I have for music are in my bedroom BG Z-5 planar ribbon bookshelfs, although my MK 150's are really nice, also.

S~

Floorstanding speakers are picked primarily for playing stereo.
Since the bigger the volume (cubic feet) of the speakers, the lower they can go.
I don't find them having any advantage for surround sound.

Diogen.

Floorstanding speakers are picked primarily for playing stereo.
Since the bigger the volume (cubic feet) of the speakers, the lower they can go.
I don't find them having any advantage for surround sound.

Diogen.

That's what I found in my research. I never was an audio guy, PQ has always been more important, but I realize with a dedicated HT room, I had to get past that. Im still learning, but just as with video, there are both passionate and consistent arguments :)

Ive now chosen my speaker line, and I feel its a damn good one (you just dont find many negative comments about this Klipsch line), and I like their sound. I cancelled my Emotiva order after some more reading, and I intend to buy an Outlaw amp instead, I just cannot fit it in my current setup, but I think the SR6005 will serve me fine for now.

I intend on a JVC projector, unless something better is out at that time, and I already have a sub I like, which I will buy a second of. I only need to decide on chairs and a screen, as well as a preamp (most likely Marantz), but this stuff will not come until its time to finalize. My goal at this point, is to finish paying off a car, then build our new home :)

I just figured why not enjoy the new speakers ;)

I think Ill enjoy a Klipsch 5.1 setup, a Marantz Preamp, an Outlaw amp, and 2 12" subs :)

When you decide to go for the amp, you might throw the Parasound classic line into your consideration. For a projector, lots of choices. Not sure about JVC's current lines. Mits 7800 looks really interesting.

S~

Will do on the amp. I've formulated a spreadsheet where I can add and remove choices as I look into them.

Emo makes a great amp for the price, but outlaw is built here by a very reputable amp company and has lower distortion. Costs more though, but it's a one time purchase.

I never have gotten into the fine points as hard as some of you guys do, but I did find advantages in using full range speakers. Withh the KG-4s and their 10" woofers, I was able to lower the crossover frequency to the sub. I ran the mains at full range and let them taper off naturally at around 40 Hz. I then set the low pass filter on the sub to 50 Hz. By doing it that way, the sub is only providing the deep sub bass sounds. If the crossover was any higher, I was able to locate its position in the room and that meant that the normal soundstage started getting muddy at the low end where sounds would wander over to the sub. It sounds better when all of the tank rumbles across the soundstage instead of just the engine :)

I'm running at 80hz now and cannot localize the sub, probably because it's so close to the display. I can see that as a consideration though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts