Speaker wire

tangsoodo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
would my solid 10 gauge ground wire work just as well or better than my stranded 12 gauge monster wire?

This is assuming there are no serious bends from reciever to speakers.

Well, will the 10 gauge FIT in the speakers and receiver? Larger, and solid, would certainly overkill more. IMHO, totally unnecessary, unless you are driving some massive venue. Stranded will of course be more flexible, and I think 12 gauge will work for almost every purpose. Of course, I do not endorse spending ANY money on the Monster brand.

Let's see what the TRUE [strike]nuts[/strike] audiophiles think. ;)

It's unlikely you could hear any difference between the two. Why not try them and find out!

I wouldn't use the 10 Ga solid simply because it is difficult to impossible to route. I agree with everyone else about the cost/performance on Monster.

Personally, I use 16 Ga stranded line cord on 15-20' runs from an Onkyo 806 to Klipsch KG-4 mains. I have measured with an oscilloscope and done an FFT which shows no frequency dropoff in that distance.

If you want to be safe and go a bit upscale, look at 12 or 14 Ga from Monoprice.

BTW, I use a combination of spade lugs at the speakers and dual banana plugs at the receiver for termination. It really helps in keeping the ends clean when re-organizing cables.

I got a 100 ft. spool of 14 ga from Lowe's for around $25. Been using it for about 7-8 yrs., and it works great. No problems at all.

Agree with all of the above. Do not waste your money on Monster. Monoprice is a good solid wire choice.

I use 50ft 12AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire Cable from MONO for my vintage audio system. Works fine for 40 cents a foot all in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts