Speakers

stimpson

Miller Lite Tester
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Benton, Arkansas
Got my 705 now i'm ready to upgrade my speakers. My budget is $1200.00. I plan on the fronts and backs to be wall mounted. Prewired for that when I built the house. Suggestions any one?

Got my 705 now i'm ready to upgrade my speakers. My budget is $1200.00. I plan on the fronts and backs to be wall mounted. Prewired for that when I built the house. Suggestions any one?
Check out the first sticky Yambekas, they seem to be pretty good.

Stipson;

Wall mount or in-wall?

And as far as the Yambekas for a an actual full H/T ????? I would find a set to test out and/or listen too BEFORE every buying them.

There are many brands to choose from. I have 2 H/T setups. I use JBL and Infinity in my main home theater, but I paid well over 4 grand for the speakers alone.

I also use the Yambeka's in our family room H/T and honestly, they sound pretty good. I don't care what some say on speaker prices higher always being better, the yambeka's can hold their own admirably with higher price units. Can I tell the difference between our 2 setups? Sure, I can, but I don't think I can hear over $3000 of difference! :)

One thing I like about the yambeka's is they work nicely as they are not nearly as big as most setups. They look slick too.

Honestly, I have heard many a story of people's wall mount speaks coming loose over time also. Just please don't consider anything bose makes.

No Bose for me. Too expensive. I've done a lot of checking and I for sure won't be going with Bose. I think I'll be going with the Polk Audios. As far as them coming loose, I don't think I'll have that problem. I have the low voltage boxes mounted right on a wall studs and I will mount the speakers on the same studs just under the wall plates. I already have my rear Kenwoods mounted that way for over two years now. No problems yet, and they actually weigh more than the ones I'll be getting. I realize the fronts get more activity than the rears, so if the do start to get a little loose, I'll pu them on floor stands. Thanks for the advice all.

I know Paradigm has some wall-mount options. They have the Cinema series, and at least at one point the Monitor series had wall-mount available as well. From a quick glance at their website, it looks like they have a new line of Cinema series. The originals would have fallen well within your budget, but can't speak for the new ones since I haven't priced them in several years.

I've had my Monitors for 6+ years, and have never had a regret!

I know Paradigm has some wall-mount options. They have the Cinema series, and at least at one point the Monitor series had wall-mount available as well. From a quick glance at their website, it looks like they have a new line of Cinema series. The originals would have fallen well within your budget, but can't speak for the new ones since I haven't priced them in several years.

I've had my Monitors for 6+ years, and have never had a regret!

I will check them out as well. Thanks for the info.

You might enjoy a set up with a Mirage Speaker System. These are well made speakers and give a quality sound. I have my front speakers mounted on stands about 4 ' high, the center speaker over the 52" LCD HD TV along with 2 side speakers (surround) and 2 back speakers and an FXS-SR Powered Subwoofer all hooked up through my Sonic View 8000 receiver and through a Denon AVR-886. I also have a Bose system set up in another room and I think the Mirage speakers produce softer, cleaner sound than the Bose. Good Luck! Make sure you listen to the speakers before you buy if you can you will be more likely not to buy the hype for the "bells and whistles" that are not necessary to build a great system.

Try to find speakers that were specifically designed to be wall-mounted. Vibration and resonance can be a real problem when wall-mounting. Some speakers are designed with this in mind, and other speakers are designed specifically to have some open space behind them. I've seen a lot of di-pole rear surround speakers, but less options for the fronts. would you be open to the idea of stand-mounted front speakers in front of the wire outlets? That would open up a LOT more options (stand-mounted fronts, wall-mounted di-pole surrounds).
Also, I imagine you'll want a sub. How big is the room (overall volume estimate).

SVSound, the link in my previous post, sells high quality wall mounts for their book shelf speakers that are used as surrounds in their 5.1 and 7.1 speaker sets. You will be hard pressed to do better than SVS speakers for the price.

You should go to your local Hi End Audio / Home Theater store, ( all ways support the local guy Stay out of big box stores) talk the them, and see what they recommend, and if they would come out and install them for a weekend trail period.. The only way to know if you are going to like them is in your home.

You must have found a set for cheap. Hope they work out for you. The woofers in the surrounds and center channel are pretty small so you shouldn't have any problems with a wall mount at all.

Well, they only have the pewter at Amazon. Can't find the black set any where. They are 699.00 with no sub, but you get 199.00 off of qualifying subs. Not sure if I want to go with pewter, but I really want those speakers.

Well the black Polk Auaio RM20 series has been discontinued. Went with the RM95 series, and added a DSWPro 400 sub. WOW!! Great sound. Every thing is crystal clear. I play Resistance Fall of Man alot and I now hear little sounds that I never heard before. What's mst impressive is that my wife noticed this as well. She has asked me two or three times now to boot up the game to hear it. Movies sound great as well. Put in Transformers, excelent, and 300 just to top it off. Amazing!!!!!!! Great speakers for anyone wanting a set under a 1000.00 bucks.

Check out Magnepan's site. MMG-W's are an incredible buy at $300 a pair. Hang them on the wall, add their center channel speaker, (also $300), and a sub, and you're good to go. Love mine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts