Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Dear SatelliteGuys Members and Podcast Fans:

Over the past few weeks we have been in discussions to host our own national call in show. Today we did a special "test" show and opened it up to our SatelliteGuys Supporters and Pub Members to help us try things out.

The result is the attached file, our first show.

While we had some bugs at the beginning of the show (Goaliebob lost his connection) the rest of the show went very well, especially for a first time.

We have no idea when we will do this again, but are in talks with two national satellite radio networks (satellite radio networks as in network that broadcast nationwide via satellite, not XM or Sirius) and plan on making the SatelliteGuys Radio show a LIVE national call in show in the future!

We hope you enjoy this special test broadcast / replay of SatelliteGuys Radio

Attachments

• show_129824.mp3
    10.3 MB · Views: 1,163
Nice show Scott and Goalie Bob.
One thing you might want to consider.
Each time you come back from a break you (Scott) mention that your talking with Bob, but I think you fail to mention yourself, we hear you but you need to say "Were here with GoalieBob and I'm Scott .... or something to that effect.
Outside of the initial intro, I don't know if you mentioned yourself.
You need to work that in after each break, most do this on a regular basis, you'll notice they will mention like every few minutes so that those just tuning in know who you are and who your speaking with.

Jimbo

The show turned out great....just wished I wasn't at work at the time or I would have called in. Yes do it again very good show.

Great job, Bob and Scott. Got a little worried when you lost Bob at first but if that was the only bump in the road...

Suggestion on the volume levels- Is it possible for you to preset the limits on the various bumps and sfx you use? While those are fully modulated, Bob's voice is thin and sometimes lost. Always lost when he speaks along with the sfx mix. Scott- Your's is much better than Bob's but still 6-10 db below the VO announcer. As expected, the callers are all over the place but if you guys can preset your levels in the virtual studio and not surprise each other with new settings, the head end, ( I thought that was you Scott on the callin show and on Podcasts it is at Bob's location. ) just need to worry about levels on the callers while live, knowing that your output in the studio is consistent.
Jimbo also had some good suggestions and I would add to that a more frequent mention of the phone number could be worth noting.

Sorry, I was out yesterday and missed the live show. Just heard the mp3 a few minutes ago.

See ya at CES- I'll be arriving Saturday afternoon.

PS- Have not had speed problems with Verizon EVDO internet at CES in the past. :)

My mic should have been higher, for the recorded promos and intro I have lowered the volume down from 100% down to 70%. I also had my mic down but can turn it up.

Unfortunately I have zero control of the callers volumes (including bobs as he was a caller)

Also next time we do it when I take a call, I will say something like "Hello caller from the 212 area code, you are on the air" this way the callers on hold know who I am talking to. :)

For this test we had nothing prepaired to talk about it was just a test to see how it all worked, but once we got flowing it jelled together nicely.

Scott- I see I really don't understand the signal flow for this call in show. But somehow, Bob needs to figure out a way to increase his volume to match yours. You have a good sample test now so using that as a base should give Bob some idea on what needs to be done at his end. If it is a skype call with computer the volume adjustments should be easy enough but if using a telephone or cell phone, the equipment may need to be swapped out for something else. I'm sure you and Bob will figure it out. BTW- your mic seemed fine but the effects channel was too loud, not clipping but way louder than your voice.

Thanks Scott. That was a help in understanding what you are dojng. Itr is pretty basic and not much you have control over.

From their FAQ-

To play the file, just come back to the Upload Files page during your live show and hit play. Choose low volume if you wish to speak over the audio and high volume if you want it full volume.

Considering what I read in the FAQ, it is amazing it sounded as good as it did for a first run.

Happy New Year--

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)