Specify Hopper Update Time... Still not an option???

kg2280

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Dallas, TX
Just got my hopper installed Friday and so far..as much as I hate to say it... I'm not impressed at all.
My biggest disappoint being not being able to change the daily update time like I could with my previous 722. I've googled and researched it to no end and the only workaround I'm finding is to set a timer so the unit is recording at 1:30a and won't automatically update. Honestly.. this is an unacceptable solution and I shouldn't have to try to "trick" the system into not updating.
Why can't I just tell it to update at 8am like I could with my previous receiver? I don't work the typical 8-5 schedule therefore I'm up at night and going through all this I feel is ridicolous.

2. Is it just me or does the picture quality seem worse with the Hopper? Picture seems more compressed with this system than with previous 722.

3. Trying to watch DVR recordings, there is an audio dropout every minute or two (specifically on CBS recordings)

4. Since the Hopper's hard drive is so much larger than my previous receiver, I thought I would be able to finally get rid of my external hard drive it's another "box" in my entertainment center I'd rather not have. Then I was told by technician I can't transfer recordings from EHD to hopper and eliminate EHD because the two formats aren't compatible???? What's that about?

You can transfer, just wait up to 72 hours. I transfered all my recordings from 2 722's and a 612 to my hoppers. This has been avail for awhile.

Every now and again I get the drop out, but it is not a common occurrence.

Picture quality is actually better if you have everything set up correctly.

They have said it may be in a future update you can change the time, but considering how long it has been, I wouldn't hold my breath on it. I wouldn't call it unacceptable. I too, am up those late hours, and the recording is a good work around. Be happy about that, since they disabled it for a little bit.

At one point in time, you couldn't even use the work around. Even if you had a recording set up, it would stop the recording, update, then it would start recording again. The Joey, you still cannot stop without hitting no.

I hope you know what I meant by waiting up to 72 hours. It will take the hopper 24-72 hours To update it's final version of the software after install.

Yeah Chad, I understand now. Thanks for the information. I hope there's plans to fix that soon and give users the ability to select what time is more convenient for them.

Lol. There have been many arguments for it. I, myself, don't care one way or the other. Some people get so upset over it. One person even went to the bbb about it... Subsequently lost. Honestly, you will not see any changes, until dish is ready for it to change. If that day even ever comes along. My guess, the next gen receivers will be coming out if they are going to change it, or they will go the route of apple, and change absolutely everything if they change that feature. So, look at all sides before wanting that.

I can see why the OP would be bothered by the update time but I just don't see Dish making it a top priority. What percentage of Dish customers are watching most of their TV that time of night? I may be up that late to watch TV a few times a year so it's not a big deal for me.

Reactions: kg2280 and ChadT41
There seems to be a "business" reason why the update time isn't configurable. It was posted here that this setting was added/changed to allow user-configurable update time setting and it was being rolled into "the next release". Well, that was many releases ago, probably a year +, so it seems as though it was blocked for whatever reason.

Or, could it simply be related to pushing the nightly AutoHop data ? If users change it to a time that's "too early", that AutoHop data isn't available yet. If they push it to too late or interrupt it each time, it may never receive the data and AutoHop won't work. Dish will get blamed for that, of course, when it was the user who is causing it to "break".

Reactions: dare2be
You can transfer, just wait up to 72 hours. I transfered all my recordings from 2 722's and a 612 to my hoppers. This has been avail for awhile.

Every now and again I get the drop out, but it is not a common occurrence.

Picture quality is actually better if you have everything set up correctly.

They have said it may be in a future update you can change the time, but considering how long it has been, I wouldn't hold my breath on it. I wouldn't call it unacceptable. I too, am up those late hours, and the recording is a good work around. Be happy about that, since they disabled it for a little bit.

QFT.

As to audio dropouts, I don't get them often, but majorly annoying when I do. I can "skip back" and hear what was missed, but that's no way to watch TV.

Reactions: ChadT41
The update on the Hopper is very different than the 722. If you are recording, it will delay the update till after the recording is done. If you have an ehd, it no longer takes an hour or more. I was up late(or early) and the update took less than 15 minutes to complete. I've never had a problem with a lost recording due to the over night update.
BTW, there already is a long thread about this.

Reactions: ChadT41
I've given up on the update time change. I just wish they'd fix the bugs already there with the recent updates. I noticed nobody even makes new threads for updates anymore. Nobody seems excited about the updates. I almost dread them now.

Reactions: DWS44
One thing I never understood is why dish's receivers have to check for updates everyday. Wouldn't twice a month be more than enough?

If there were 18 days in a month, you could do that. Well, wait, that's only for DVRs since they have 9-day guides. Regular receivers only go out what, two days ?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Consider sports also, that also may be TBA. If they get the info 48 hours ahead of time, then it needs updated as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts