Spectracal DPG-1000 Signal Generator Impressions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Was curious about this thing, especially since it is half what the closest device costs, and you can automate it with Calman (I have Chromapure though). I ended up with a 1000, not the new 1400, because the deal was too good to pass up. When looking into these things, I heard a lot of varying comments, but Ill try and sum up what I learned.

• It comes with a lot of patterns, including windows plenty small for plasma and just about everything an amateur needs.
  • Many said it was very slow, and it is compared to an Accupel, but not to AVS709. You need to jump 3 patterns, you just hit the remote button 3 times and give it a sec, and it jumps. No need to press/wait, press/wait, and so on. Once I figured this out, it worked much faster.
  • This is basically a WD Live player, with an IR rcvr and remote, along with the reference test patterns. Spectracal put it together, and IMO its a bit overpriced, but if you want a cheap all in one generator, its not half bad.
  • Big key, and I mean a BIG key, is that once you get one, do not install the updates put out by Western Digital. This is an off the shelf item, so when you get it, it works the way it is supposed too, but folks have had issues with the proper HDMI output properties after some wonky WD updates. I repeat, do not update it whenever WD releases new FW :) (Thanks Ray Coronado for a nice 40 minute phone conversation today :) )

I used it tonight on my Dads set, and I was plenty happy with it, and its speed, so Id recommend it to anyone who cannot afford an Accupel at $1200.

c2298d19.jpg

54293903.jpg

Power cable
WD Live Device
USB stick with test patterns
Remote
Ir rcvr

After a week of eval, Im impressed with the result. For someone wanting a reference signal, as opposed to a calibration disc in a player, it's a good $600 solution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts