Spectrum Analyzer for Satellite

Status
Not open for further replies.

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
Anyone out there using a commercial spectrum analyzer to "see" what FTA satellite signals are out there? Thought about hooking one up to a motorized dish and point to different satellites and see what TP frequencies are there. My STB has an IF out so those IFs would fall into the analyzer's range.

Okay, it wouldn't tell you what the polarization is, along with other important parameters to know. But it would show the downlink frequencies and possibly the beacon frequency. I guess you could use the SA to watch the signal for optimal amplitude while incrementally moving the dish

Could also use an SA for monitoring openings on the OTA spectrum. Just and idea, not saying good or bad, something to throw out there for opinions. Thanks.

The regular route to discovery involves a conventional receiver and a "blind scan". Works just the same and when it is done, your receiver is programmed.

No, but I have one on my list. When I acquire one, I will do that. I have done this with an SDR and is pretty neat.

Reactions: spongella
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)